Author Topic: Color space changes (or, color profile dropped?): mid-edit  (Read 3122 times)

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi there. Mid-edit, the color profile of the images seems to completely change. The only way to get it back to normal is to quit PM. Attached are before/after screen grabs.

Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 15002 (5d38c43)
Mac 10.6.8
MacBook Pro (Early 2011) 15"

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 06:12:45 AM by tommyleo »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Color space changes (or, color profile dropped?): mid-edit
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 06:16:21 AM »
Tommy,

Hi there. Mid-edit, the color profile of the images seems to completely change. The only way to get it back to normal is to quit PM. Attached are before/after screen grabs.

Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 15002 (5d38c43)
Mac 10.6.8
MacBook Pro (Early 2011) 15"

Please get the latest version of Photo Mechanic (build 15451) and if the problem persists, please let me know.

-Kirk

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 07:20:38 AM »
Will do. Thanks for the super-fast response!

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 07:25:31 AM »
Wait, I have a problem. I just downloaded the new version, and now I can't generate a gallery using the OLD "Classic" gallery settings, which I prefer. A while back, you provided a way for me to keep that old Classic gallery setting (including giving me a file to upload). I just did a search here, but I cannot find those instructions on this forum.

- Tommy

EDIT: I just did another search here, and the old post with the needed instructions (and file) were found. So I'm good!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 07:31:12 AM by tommyleo »

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 10:13:51 AM »
Bad news. Even though I'm now running the new build, I'm still getting the same problem. Here are the examples. The first two are screen shots which show the difference in the images. The second two are the same images -- opened in ACR but unadjusted -- proving that the two images should indeed have the same color/contrast/density.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Tom Parkes 2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 10:50:46 AM »
This looks like the same issue I mentioned here?: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=8545.0

Like me the OP is using a Macbook Pro, although my OS is more recent.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 11:04:36 AM »
Bad news. Even though I'm now running the new build, I'm still getting the same problem. Here are the examples. The first two are screen shots which show the difference in the images. The second two are the same images -- opened in ACR but unadjusted -- proving that the two images should indeed have the same color/contrast/density.

OK, then we'll have to investigate the problem.  I'm on vacation so I'll continue with you next Tuesday when I'm back to work.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 07:11:47 AM »
Tommy,

OK, but just to be clear here: you can't compare the rendering of an embedded JPEG against the rendering of the actual RAW data in Adobe Camera RAW.  It is fair to compare the two images as rendered in PM however.

What is your display setup?  Are you using different monitors at different times?  Did you preview both of those images at nearly the same time or did some significant amount of time elapse between viewing the two images and if so, did your monitor setup change during that time?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 06:25:13 AM »
Kirk,

I included the view of the ACR images to show that both image look the same in ACR. That proves that when those two images are viewed in PM, the two PM images should look the same -- bu they do not. Of course, I would never expect ACR images to match PM images.

I'm mainly using an Apple 30" Cinema Display, which is attached to my MacBook Pro. Very occasionally, I use the display on the MPB. I get the same problem (intermittently) on both displays.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 06:33:49 AM »
Tommy,

I included the view of the ACR images to show that both image look the same in ACR. That proves that when those two images are viewed in PM, the two PM images should look the same -- bu they do not. Of course, I would never expect ACR images to match PM images.

Not to belabor the point, but PM isn't using the same source data nor the same rendering technology nor the same color management system as ACR.  PM is showing you the embedded JPEG preview from the two images whereas ACR is rendering the RAW data.  It is entirely possible that there are differences in the JPEG data that would cause color shifts.  But it is far more likely that there is a problem (a bug) causing the differences you saw.  A good test would be to quit PM, launch it again and then compare the two previews again.  They would probably be exactly the same and no outside comparison would be needed.

Did you get my personal message to you?  I sent you a link to an updated version of PM that I expect to solve the issue you're having.  Please test it and report back to me when you can.

Thanks,

-Kirk