Author Topic: adding keyword to beginning of keyword string ?  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
adding keyword to beginning of keyword string ?
« on: May 28, 2014, 06:19:27 AM »
Greetings

I wish to add a word to my keyword string.  I would like the word to be at the beginning of the string.

For example, I now have Tasmania, Hobart, Flora.   I want to add Australia but wish Australia to be at the front before Tasmania so the complete string will read Australia, Tasmania, Hobart, Flora.  Using the append adds Australia to the end of the string.

Can this be done.  I have 4577 entries (files) that require this.

Thank you,   WilloWT

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: adding keyword to beginning of keyword string ?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 07:35:57 AM »
I wish to add a word to my keyword string.  I would like the word to be at the beginning of the string.

For example, I now have Tasmania, Hobart, Flora.   I want to add Australia but wish Australia to be at the front before Tasmania so the complete string will read Australia, Tasmania, Hobart, Flora.  Using the append adds Australia to the end of the string.

Can this be done.  I have 4577 entries (files) that require this.

No, it cannot be done.  You can append keywords, not prefix them.  Keywords are an unordered list and can be displayed in any order.  PM happens to display them in the order they're listed in the metadata, other programs may display them in alphabetical order.  Because they are an unordered list, we have never seen a need to have much control over whether added keywords are prefixed or appended.

-Kirk

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:20:19 AM »
After thinking further on the issue, it can be done, but it takes more than one step.

1) Apply IPTC Stationery Pad with: "{keywords}" in the Source field (it can be any field, but I figured you might not be using this one) to your selected images.

(your current keywords will now be in the Source field.)

2) Apply IPTC Stationery Pad with: "Australia, {source}" in the Keywords field and turn off the append (+) checkbox and the Source apply checkbox off to your selected images.

(your keywords are now as you wanted.)

3) Apply IPTC Stationery Pad with: Keywords unchecked, Source checked and its contents cleared to your selected images.

(the Source field is clear again.)

Not elegant by any means, but much better than entering the keyword 4,577 times by hand.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 04:23:25 PM »
Thank you Kirk.  I will try this idea.  My best,  WilloW