Author Topic: Slow to Launch  (Read 1931 times)

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
Slow to Launch
« on: May 30, 2014, 09:01:38 AM »
I think Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 15451 (86b6bbe) on a Mac running 10.9.3 with a SSD drive should launch quite quickly. But the icon bounces in the dock for ages -- in comparison with other apps.

I think I saw a tip for solving this by deleting a preference file or clearing a cache but can't find it now. Who can give me a clue?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Slow to Launch
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 09:17:26 AM »
David,

I think Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 15451 (86b6bbe) on a Mac running 10.9.3 with a SSD drive should launch quite quickly. But the icon bounces in the dock for ages -- in comparison with other apps.

I think I saw a tip for solving this by deleting a preference file or clearing a cache but can't find it now. Who can give me a clue?

Thanks!

Do you have a bunch of drives local or network that may have spun down?  The Navigator accesses all of the mounted drives on startup and if they have spun down (sleep mode) then they need to spin up in order for the OS to give PM the root directory data.  If you have a number of sleeping drives, this can take some time.

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 09:22:01 AM »
Yes, I have a bunch of network drives and yes, that does seem to make a difference. Thirty-three bounces with the drives mounted, ten without.

Thanks again!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 10:35:17 AM »
David,

Yes, I have a bunch of network drives and yes, that does seem to make a difference. Thirty-three bounces with the drives mounted, ten without.

It should also be shorter if they're connected but not spun down (not sleeping).

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 12:20:43 PM »
To answer your question about clearing the cache (which does help startup times too): got to the Caching pane in the Preferences. Here you can specify where the caches should reside. There are also buttons for cleaning the caches.

Hope this helps,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl