Author Topic: Size in cm for option "scaling to fit box"  (Read 3863 times)

Offline CameraNera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Size in cm for option "scaling to fit box"
« on: May 25, 2014, 03:32:28 AM »
Hello

Doing a quick search before posting, I saw that this already has been asked (see this post: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=7554.msg35735#msg35735 ) but as it dates from August 2012 already, I guess it is allowed to refresh the wish... ::)

I miss this function a lot too.

Of course I can quickly go to a conversion website or use a conversion app, to know what the centimenters I want correspond in inches, but this is not very nice to do, and needs some time.

It is possible to integrate the scale in centimetres in the next coming update?

Thanks in advance & best regards
CameraNera

PS: In the main preferences menu we can choose miles or kilometers for GPS, so maybe it could be something similar in the general settings for inches vs. centimetres?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Size in cm for option "scaling to fit box"
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 01:37:34 PM »
Hello

Doing a quick search before posting, I saw that this already has been asked (see this post: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=7554.msg35735#msg35735 ) but as it dates from August 2012 already, I guess it is allowed to refresh the wish... ::)

I miss this function a lot too.

Of course I can quickly go to a conversion website or use a conversion app, to know what the centimenters I want correspond in inches, but this is not very nice to do, and needs some time.

It is possible to integrate the scale in centimetres in the next coming update?

Thanks in advance & best regards
CameraNera

PS: In the main preferences menu we can choose miles or kilometers for GPS, so maybe it could be something similar in the general settings for inches vs. centimetres?

If you'll set your "Resolution units" in the Files section of the Preferences dialog to "pixels per cm" instead of "pixels per inch" then the scaling choices will be pixels and cms.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 11:46:19 AM »
If you'll set your "Resolution units" in the Files section of the Preferences dialog to "pixels per cm" instead of "pixels per inch" then the scaling choices will be pixels and cms.

Hi Kirk, yes, setting this works as described. However, (and I think this is the same for the requester) for all my normal things I prefer ppi instead of ppcm (I mean, 300 or 240ppi are the numbers everyone knows). For measuring out e.g., image sizes, a size in cm would be nice to be able to specify (keeping the resolution at e.g. 300ppi).

So I guess what we want here is to be able to specify sizes in both cm and inches (and pixels), irrespective of your resolution unit setting  ;)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 11:58:40 AM »
Hayo,

Hi Kirk, yes, setting this works as described. However, (and I think this is the same for the requester) for all my normal things I prefer ppi instead of ppcm (I mean, 300 or 240ppi are the numbers everyone knows). For measuring out e.g., image sizes, a size in cm would be nice to be able to specify (keeping the resolution at e.g. 300ppi).

So I guess what we want here is to be able to specify sizes in both cm and inches (and pixels), irrespective of your resolution unit setting  ;)

OK, so all three choices would be available to everyone all the time, regardless of the units settings.  Understood.

-Kirk