Author Topic: Uploading issue to Photoshelter...  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Lenny Warren

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Warren Media
Uploading issue to Photoshelter...
« on: June 09, 2014, 09:13:18 AM »
Hi there,

Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 15451 on OSX 10.9.3

I'm having a really annoying isue whilst uploading to Photoshelter... It's intermittent, and I'm not sure if it's a PM or a Photoshelter issue.

I start uploading to a gallery on Photoshelter, as normal. The first 2 pics go, then the transfer window just sort of freezes. Eventually, the transfer window will say something like...

TESTPIC-LW01.jpg [stalled]

and then sometimes...

TESTPIC-LW02.jpg [error: ./ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:54:in `rbuf_fill': execution expired]

I can't delete these pics from my queue, but if I refresh, or restart sending from the small icon above the trash can in the transfer window, it starts to send again, only to come back as stalled or error later.

Some pics get through, some end up duplicated, but it's really causing me grief at the moment. The fact it's intermittent is strange also...

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Lenny
--
Lenny Warren / Warren Media
07860 830050
http://www.warrenmedia.co.uk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Uploading issue to Photoshelter...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 10:35:19 AM »
Lenny,

Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 15451 on OSX 10.9.3

I'm having a really annoying isue whilst uploading to Photoshelter... It's intermittent, and I'm not sure if it's a PM or a Photoshelter issue.

I start uploading to a gallery on Photoshelter, as normal. The first 2 pics go, then the transfer window just sort of freezes. Eventually, the transfer window will say something like...

TESTPIC-LW01.jpg [stalled]

and then sometimes...

TESTPIC-LW02.jpg [error: ./ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:54:in `rbuf_fill': execution expired]

I can't delete these pics from my queue, but if I refresh, or restart sending from the small icon above the trash can in the transfer window, it starts to send again, only to come back as stalled or error later.

Some pics get through, some end up duplicated, but it's really causing me grief at the moment. The fact it's intermittent is strange also...

Is your internet connection otherwise reliable at the time of the problems?  Have you tried contacting Photoshelter about your issue?  Are they having any outages?

-Kirk

Offline Lenny Warren

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Warren Media
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 12:10:46 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Internet is fine at the same time, speedtests are rock solid. I've contacted Photoshelter but no reply yet. Does this seem more like a Photoshelter issue?

Cheers,
Lenny
--
07860 830050

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 12:13:31 PM »
Lenny,

Internet is fine at the same time, speedtests are rock solid. I've contacted Photoshelter but no reply yet. Does this seem more like a Photoshelter issue?

It's hard to say.  The Photoshelter folks have taken over development of the Uploader template as of about 8 months ago.  If there is something we can reproduce, we could try to fix it or the Photoshelter team could try and fix the problem if it is in the template.  If the problem is with Photoshelter's services, they will definitely have to fix it.

-Kirk

Offline Lenny Warren

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Warren Media
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
Thanks Kirk, appreciated. I'll see what Photoshelter have to say... :)
--
07860 830050

Offline Lenny Warren

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Warren Media
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 02:25:59 PM »
Now I think it’s to do with my new broadband provider, but can’t understand why. I moved from ADSL to Fibre Broadband a few weeks ago, and this has been happening every so often since then. I’ve tried to replicate the error using my Mobile Broadband MiFi and can’t, so it does seem like the issue is with my home broadband. When the issue is happening, my broadband is still working. Speedtests are all fine, and I have very fast uploads… 18Mbps upload.

I’ve tried uploading a couple of images rather than about 20 or so and the problem still exists. Is there anyway of checking logs to advise what I can say to my broadband provider? I’ll have to wait till office hours here in the UK to talk to their tech support.

Could it be I'm sending pics too fast???
--
07860 830050

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 02:59:50 PM »
Lenny,

Now I think it’s to do with my new broadband provider, but can’t understand why. I moved from ADSL to Fibre Broadband a few weeks ago, and this has been happening every so often since then. I’ve tried to replicate the error using my Mobile Broadband MiFi and can’t, so it does seem like the issue is with my home broadband. When the issue is happening, my broadband is still working. Speedtests are all fine, and I have very fast uploads… 18Mbps upload.

I’ve tried uploading a couple of images rather than about 20 or so and the problem still exists. Is there anyway of checking logs to advise what I can say to my broadband provider? I’ll have to wait till office hours here in the UK to talk to their tech support.

Could it be I'm sending pics too fast???

Do they throttle down your speed over time?  Some ISPs let the initial few seconds of an upload proceed quickly and then slow down the transfer rate as time goes on.

You can get access to PM's log by going to the Help menu and choosing "Reveal Support Data".  You'll see a zip file which you can post here.  I don't think there will be much in it that your ISP would be interested in.

-Kirk

Offline Lenny Warren

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Warren Media
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 03:43:16 PM »
Thanks Kirk, here's the zip file. Are you able to check that everything's ok? I'm currently sending by my mobile broadband and all is ok... My ISP said they do not throttle uploads, but will check in the morning..

[attachment deleted by admin]
--
07860 830050

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 04:03:21 PM »
Lenny,

Thanks Kirk, here's the zip file. Are you able to check that everything's ok? I'm currently sending by my mobile broadband and all is ok... My ISP said they do not throttle uploads, but will check in the morning..

I see several places where you canceled an upload, or where that other error you listed before occur and some places where FTP responses were failing to arrive.

I suspect your internet connection isn't working as well as it could be.  You could have them check for dropped packets, poor signal to noise ratio, other problems on their end, etc.

-Kirk

Offline Lenny Warren

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Warren Media
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 04:06:22 PM »
Cheers Kirk, always good to eliminate things, and happy that PM is working as it should... saying that, PM is rock solid, couldn't work with out it...  :D
--
07860 830050