Author Topic: Image Sizes when FTP for example  (Read 2567 times)

Offline Barca.99

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Image Sizes when FTP for example
« on: June 05, 2014, 11:41:02 AM »
When I FTP images the slider when saving as a JPEG to reduce the image is very limited and either only goes to as low as 0.166kb approx or as high as 1.166mg as attached. It never allows me to be precise and say choose 0.5 mb ?? Very frustrating.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Image Sizes when FTP for example
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 01:39:41 PM »
When I FTP images the slider when saving as a JPEG to reduce the image is very limited and either only goes to as low as 0.166kb approx or as high as 1.166mg as attached. It never allows me to be precise and say choose 0.5 mb ?? Very frustrating.

Why aren't you using the "Limit file size to:" checkbox and entering 0.5MB?  Set the JPEG quality slider to zero, and you should get an image near that size.  There are only a limited number of steps in the JPEG quantization levels so really small size can be hard to nail, but the size shouldn't exceed 0.5MB.

-Kirk

Offline Barca.99

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 01:44:46 AM »
The reason was when I did set the JPEG slider limiter to 1.0 mb for instance my images were still being sent as 3,4 or 5 meg?

Is this because I didn't reduce the quality slider to zero swell?????

Thanks

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 02:47:26 AM »
Sound like you were trying to save the files too small for their resolution (and detail). It is impossible to compress for example a 22MP photo (of a detailed scene) whose jpeg right out of camera has about 10 Megabytes to 0.5 Megabytes without making it all blocky and weird looking. Even Photoshop has some minimum quality in its jpeg compression dialog (a full 22MP photo from e.g. Canon 5DmkIII usually can't get below 1MB even if you save it at Photoshop's zero quality).

In Photomechanic, if I remember correctly, when you use the Limit file size to ... dialog, the quality slider above still lets you control the minimum quality of the photo. JPEG compression depends heavily on the detail in the original photo. A simple view of blue sky could be much smaller than a highly detailed landscape scene. There is a sweet spot between acceptable quality loss, filesize, original photo detail and resolution. JPEG compression is not magical. It can't work miracles, it won't produce a 20x smaller file with still acceptable quality of the result. Either you have the quality slider set too much to the right for the intended file size, or (if the quality is set all the way to the left), the photos are just too big and detailed to be saved at your intended file size.

If you consistently find yourself in need of saving 0.5 MB files, you should probably downsample the photos. Use Resize dialog to set a lower resolution.

Please see the manual or at least the Limiting size of JPEGs FAQ here ... http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=7453.0
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 02:48:58 AM by Frantisek Vlcek »

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 03:54:04 AM »
In Photomechanic, if I remember correctly, when you use the Limit file size to ... dialog, the quality slider above still lets you control the minimum quality of the photo
Yes, you are right.
I have set the minimum quality to a value of 1 or 2 and I am only changing the file size when saving of sending via FTP.
If there is a conflict between minimum quality and the file size limit the quality has priority. That means the file is rendered down to the minimum quality and saved even that the file size exceeds your setting.
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Barca.99

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 04:06:51 AM »
Ok so leaving slider on 0 will resolve my prob and limit my files to say 1 meg if i select 1 meg in the limiter?

Thanks again all

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 04:07:59 AM »
Yes, it should solve your "problem".
But please do a few tests first and check the resulting image quality.

BR
Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.