Author Topic: 2GB JPEG Files after failed "Un-tagging"  (Read 1292 times)

Offline tommygrealy

  • Member
  • **
  • Posts: 50
    • View Profile
2GB JPEG Files after failed "Un-tagging"
« on: June 09, 2014, 12:47:44 PM »
Hi,

MacOS Version 10.9.3, Photomechanic Version 5.0 build 15451

Today, I opened a new contact sheet from a folder containing 164 JPEG files which were all tagged (used "copy locked files only" when ingesting, therfore everything that gets taken from the camera will be tagged)

I selected all 164 photos in the contact sheet and clicked cmd & minus "-" sign to untag every file that was selected.
The progress window showed the untagging was occuring unusually slowly and got to a point where it seemed to get stuck
on "untagging 98 of 164", at that point, since nothing was happening I clicked "Abort".
At that point, 100 of the 164 files had actually been untagged. I know this becuase I used the "Select tagged" (cmd +T) and could see that 64 files now got selected.
Again I started the untagging of these 64 files and again it ground to a halt and had to be aborted half way through after getting stuck again.
One last attempt to untag the remainder again had to be aborted as PM was now hogging CPU and was responding very slowly.
When I looked at the files from the command line, I noticed that 2 files which earlier today had a normal JPEG filesize of between 3 and 6 MB  were now over showing over 2GB in size and another one was 604 MB. They were still the same dimensions and could still be viewed as normal in Preview - i.e, nothing about the image had changed.
I dont know what happened to these files or if its possible that in the process of un-tagging, photo mechanic may have entered into a loop which was somehow writing data into the file, possibly into the metadata section (as I mentioned, the image itself looked normal). I cannot think of anything else I did with these files that could have caused them to grow. I am 90% certain they were not this size before I started the un-tagging operation.
Any suggestions as to what might have happened? Or if anyone has seen this happen before, please let me know.

Here is a snapshot of a section of the files in the directory - (from the command line - showing one of the 2GB files and the 604 MB)
-rw-rw-rw-@ 1 tommygrealy  staff     4508510  9 Jun 20:09 TG_16202.JPG
-rw-rw-rw-@ 1 tommygrealy  staff  2684420142  9 Jun 20:10 TG_16216.JPG
-rw-rw-rw-@ 1 tommygrealy  staff   604045358  9 Jun 20:12 TG_16214.JPG
-rw-rw-rw-@ 1 tommygrealy  staff     5535125  9 Jun 20:12 TG_16213.JPG
-rw-rw-rw-@ 1 tommygrealy  staff     5241357  9 Jun 20:12 TG_16212.JPG
-rw-rw-rw-@ 1 tommygrealy  staff     6266633  9 Jun 20:12 TG_16215.JPG
-rw-r--r--  1 tommygrealy  staff       11644  9 Jun 20:40 test.txt



Thanks
-Tommy


Offline Kirk Baker

  • Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 20390
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 2GB JPEG Files after failed "Un-tagging"
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 01:24:46 PM »
Tommy,

I have never heard of that problem before, but I'd really like to have access to those large images.  Contact me privately for our FTP server info.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline dennis

  • President
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 395
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 2GB JPEG Files after failed "Un-tagging"
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 03:45:55 PM »
Tommy,

I looked at the files you sent us.  Both of them looked like they had been edited by Adobe Camera Raw.  Certainly not just touched by PM.  The 604MB file was not corrupted but just had a whole bunch of zeroes appended to the end of the JPEG.  I  downloaded the 2GB  file but all Dropbox gave me was a 4.2MB file which was just fine.

Probably has something to do with ACR.  I wouldn't recommend editing the same file with different applications simultaneously.

BTW it was interesting to see that Dropbox actually applies the crop to the preview it shows on the web.

HTH.

--dennis

Offline dennis

  • President
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 395
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 2GB JPEG Files after failed "Un-tagging"
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 12:02:25 PM »
Tommy,

OK I did find a bug when PM was updating TIFF tags that have length < 4 chars.  I've fixed the bug for the next PM update.  This bug was causing the file size to increase but otherwise wasn't corrupting the photo.

For some reason, ACR was changing your copyright tag set in the camera from all spaces to a single space, and this tripped the bug.  If you put at least 4 chars in the copyright field (in the camera) the bug won't happen.

Regards,

--dennis