Author Topic: Multiple output files?  (Read 8103 times)

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
Multiple output files?
« on: June 10, 2014, 02:36:58 PM »
Hello,

One customer requires sending them a set of images in 3 different sizes.
My workaround today is find the originals, triplicate them in three different folders. After that, I resize them using PS.

Is it possible to make it straight from PM?
What I think is something like "export" or "save as" and set the size or sizes needed, enter the syntax names for the new resized files and their output folders/ftp, etc.

Is it something that PM can do?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Multiple output files?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 02:39:57 PM »
One customer requires sending them a set of images in 3 different sizes.
My workaround today is find the originals, triplicate them in three different folders. After that, I resize them using PS.

Is it possible to make it straight from PM?
What I think is something like "export" or "save as" and set the size or sizes needed, enter the syntax names for the new resized files and their output folders/ftp, etc.

Is it something that PM can do?

Sure.  The Save as dialog could be used three times for the sizes you need.

-Kirk

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 05:00:55 AM »
Hahahaha great answer Kirk!

I already knew that!  ;D ;D

My question come after seen in Ingest dialog there's "primary destination" and "secondary", so I thought that could be a "primary" and "secondary" destination for export or save us dialog plus resizing.

Thanks for the clever answer!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 06:31:59 AM »
Hahahaha great answer Kirk!

I already knew that!  ;D ;D

My question come after seen in Ingest dialog there's "primary destination" and "secondary", so I thought that could be a "primary" and "secondary" destination for export or save us dialog plus resizing.

Thanks for the clever answer!

No there is no such interface or feature.  Unlikely we would ever complicate the Save as dialog in that manner.   But someone enterprising could write an export template that would do exactly what you want.

Maybe that enterprising person is you. ;)

-Kirk

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 06:38:59 AM »
Thanks again Kirk!
I've checked the manual and can't finde where should I read about create exporting templates.
By the way, using the dialog 3 or more times is not big deal, so I will continue doing it.
Bye!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 08:23:55 AM »
Thanks again Kirk!
I've checked the manual and can't finde where should I read about create exporting templates.
By the way, using the dialog 3 or more times is not big deal, so I will continue doing it.
Bye!

They're written in a scripting language called ruby.  The best examples are the built-in templates themselves.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 09:33:43 AM »
Mind you (you probably already know about it, but perhaps for others newer to PM), you can use the lightning bolt icon in Save As... dialog to save your current Save As preset (including size and folder destination), and file destination fields in the dialog allow variables.

So you could set a destination to for example C:\Export\ + {folder}_size3000 (if I remember the folder variable correctly), set size to 3000, and save the whole bunch as one preset via the lightning bolt, and create a second one with size2000, and third with size960, If you get my example. Or if you could use another variable.

You would still have to invoke the save as three times, once for each size, but it would save you the hassle of entering a new path and size every time, you would just select the preset from the lightning bolt and hit enter.

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 09:38:07 AM »
Mind you (you probably already know about it, but perhaps for others newer to PM), you can use the lightning bolt icon in Save As... dialog to save your current Save As preset (including size and folder destination), and file destination fields in the dialog allow variables.

So you could set a destination to for example C:\Export\ + {folder}_size3000 (if I remember the folder variable correctly), set size to 3000, and save the whole bunch as one preset via the lightning bolt, and create a second one with size2000, and third with size960, If you get my example. Or if you could use another variable.

You would still have to invoke the save as three times, once for each size, but it would save you the hassle of entering a new path and size every time, you would just select the preset from the lightning bolt and hit enter.

Great point!! I will try it that way. Ruby was so complex for me in this case ;) Thanks!

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 09:47:21 AM »
Mind you, I don't remember the exact variable for parent folder, but you can look it up using the variables... button easily inside PM. Both the snapshots and variables especially together are a very powerful tool in PM.

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 10:00:48 AM »

The lightning bolt did the job ;) Thanks a looooooooooot