Author Topic: Closed: FAQ doesn't mention .PMIngestIgnore solution  (Read 5012 times)

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Closed: FAQ doesn't mention .PMIngestIgnore solution
« on: July 25, 2014, 12:51:11 PM »
I noticed that in the FAQ on cleaning the ingest dialogue, mention is made of creating a folder with the name PMIngestIgnore in the root of a drive to prevent it from showing up in the ingest dialogue. It neglects to mention that the same feat can be achieved by a much less obnoxious solution, namely the creation of a .PMIngestIgnore file in the root. I think this should be added, not only for completeness, but also because this will be the preferred solution for many, especially those on a Mac as by default “.dot” files are not shown and thus do not clutter your view.

Cheers,
Hayo
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 08:18:17 AM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Bob

• View Profile
Re: FAQ doesn't mention .PMIngestIgnore solution
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 06:27:50 PM »
Hayo,
I agree that an invisible folder makes some sense, but on the mac, at least for me, the default system won't let me create a hidden folder without using terminal.. which might cause a few issues for some.
But I do agree the option should be mentioned for those that want it.
I am amazed at how few people know about this though (the ingest ignore)... it is a very appreciated trick when I share:)

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 11:18:52 PM »
Hi Bob,

Very true, to create a .dot file, you'll need to make use of the terminal. I guess that's also why it isn't mentioned in the FAQ; to not complicate things. But it's not mentioned anywhere in the manual, and the manual should be as complete as possible, don't you think?
When it's added there should be with a caveat/short explanation how to create it on the command-line too of course, otherwise it will raise more questions than it provides answers  :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:02:14 AM »
That's a good suggestion. I will add it today.   Thanks!
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 02:28:37 AM »
A better solution still would be to have an "Ignore this Volume" button in the ingest dialog that creates a hidden file for you. You'd need a "Show Ignored Volumes" button too in case you ever wanted to change it back.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 07:00:23 AM »
Sam,

A better solution still would be to have an "Ignore this Volume" button in the ingest dialog that creates a hidden file for you. You'd need a "Show Ignored Volumes" button too in case you ever wanted to change it back.

I agree that it would be better to have it work the way you suggested in a feature request a while ago, but it is still good to document things the way they are now.

-Kirk