Author Topic: Where are certain PM files stored?  (Read 3211 times)

Offline sigmadp2user

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Where are certain PM files stored?
« on: June 19, 2014, 07:27:03 AM »
I am traveling with a portable drive containing a clone of my desktop MAC's internal drive.  On a laptop, I would like to run Photo Mechanic, but use all the parameters I had established on my home computer, such as Ingest dialog parameters, IPTC stationery, preference settings, etc.  Can you tell me what files from my portable drive I should copy onto my traveling computer's internal drive (and where they go), so that my traveling use of PM is a duplicate of what I have been doing on my home computer?

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Where are certain PM files stored?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 08:04:21 AM »
You can export your Preferences for this exact purpose. Look for the 'Export...' button at the bottom of the preferences window and then choose where you want to save it.  Then on the laptop, choose 'Import...' and use that same file you just created.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Exporting_Preferences

Let us know if this isn't what you had in mind

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline sigmadp2user

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 09:06:17 AM »
Thanks for your answer.  But now that I am away and have only the clone of my home computer HD with me, I would need to run PM using the preferences on that (now-external) drive in order to do the Export. I don't know how to do that.

Is it possible to simply copy the file com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.plist from my clone drive into my laptop's Library/preferences folder?

Also, does the prefs file contain the info in my Ingest settings, and my IPTC stationery?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 10:53:31 AM »
Thanks for your answer.  But now that I am away and have only the clone of my home computer HD with me, I would need to run PM using the preferences on that (now-external) drive in order to do the Export. I don't know how to do that.

Is it possible to simply copy the file com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.plist from my clone drive into my laptop's Library/preferences folder?

Also, does the prefs file contain the info in my Ingest settings, and my IPTC stationery?

The plist file contains almost none of PM's preferences.  You can copy the com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic folder (which is in the same place as the aforementioned plist file) from your cloned drive to your laptop and most of your preferences should work just fine.  Any preferences that have specific paths to files/folders that don't exist on your laptop won't work, for instance, things like editor applications you've chosen may not work.  But you can just set those choices again on the laptop.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 02:24:39 PM »
Synchronising my settings this way is what I've been doing for a couple of years now. It works brilliantly, just bear in mind as Kirk said that any paths that are specific to one environment won't work on the other. Not a big problem, but something to be aware of. In my case it meant, for instance, that I had to create copies of the snapshots for my ingest settings for the laptop and desktop separately.

Enjoy,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl