Author Topic: Drag & Drop to MOVE files, not copy  (Read 3779 times)

Offline camijane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Drag & Drop to MOVE files, not copy
« on: June 18, 2014, 11:19:32 AM »
I am running Photo Mechanic 5.0 on OSX 10.9.2

I always used to to drag and drop files from Photo Mechanic to move them to another folder. But now for some reason, the files are just being copied and not moved. I know I can manually move files by file --> copy/move --> and then select move; however, this is a long process when I'm organizing hundreds and thousands of photos into different folders.

The files used to move with drag and drop and I never changed any preferences, so I'm wondering if this changed with a recent update?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Drag & Drop to MOVE files, not copy
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 02:12:52 PM »

I always used to to drag and drop files from Photo Mechanic to move them to another folder. But now for some reason, the files are just being copied and not moved. I know I can manually move files by file --> copy/move --> and then select move; however, this is a long process when I'm organizing hundreds and thousands of photos into different folders.

The files used to move with drag and drop and I never changed any preferences, so I'm wondering if this changed with a recent update?

What is the drag source?  Selected photos in a contact sheet tab?
What is the drag destination?  A folder in the Navigator?  Favorites?  Finder?

-Kirk

Offline camijane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 11:09:05 AM »

What is the drag source?  Selected photos in a contact sheet tab?
What is the drag destination?  A folder in the Navigator?  Favorites?  Finder?

-Kirk

Hey Kirk,

Drag source: selected photos in contact sheet tab
Drag destination: folder in Finder

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 11:29:12 AM »
Drag source: selected photos in contact sheet tab
Drag destination: folder in Finder

In that case the Finder is doing the copy/move operation.  PM is only providing the list of files.  Are the two locations (the source and destination directory) on the same physical disc?  If not, then only a copy is possible.

-Kirk