Author Topic: SOLVED: PM incorrectly resets timezone info  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
SOLVED: PM incorrectly resets timezone info
« on: July 01, 2014, 02:17:19 AM »
PhotoMechanic incorrectly resets the timezone information to +00:00 on the XMP tag DateCreated (Photoshop) and the IPTC tag TimeCreated. PM should not do this as one now loses information.

I hope this can be fixed quickly as I need the correct time(zone) info.

Thanks,
Hayo

PS. I hope you can then also have a look at the urgency tag issue I reported earlier.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:48:35 PM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Bug: PM incorrectly resets timezone info
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 05:56:36 PM »
Hayo,

We've fixed the timezone issue I think. The sample TIF file you sent us looks like it's XMP was created with Exiftool, not directly by Photoshop (IOW it was a Photoshop TIF modified by Exiftool).  Exiftool wrote a mostly unused format of the ISO date-time string which had a sub second appended to the time (e.g. HH:MM:SS.ss).  This was throwing PM and it failed to correctly get anything beyond the time (including the time zone).

However we still don't properly restore this sub-second value in the XMP and we hope to fix this anomaly.  But PM for the most part reads the Exif tags for capture time sub seconds so hopefully this detail won't adversely affect your workflow.  Like I said, no camera and not even Photoshop (I don't think) creates an XMP date-time string in this format.  It is an artifact of Exiftool.

Regards,

--dennis

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: SOLVED: PM incorrectly resets timezone info
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 11:48:18 PM »
Hi Dennis,

Ah, many thanks for delving into this one and fixing it as well. Remember I mentioned to you that I found PS sometimes reset the timezone on the IPTC tag? Well, it turns out that they don't like the subseconds present either. As it turns out, PS never puts the subseconds in there (I thought they did), so I have now updated my own metadata check/correct code to NOT put the subseconds there either, when updating the datetimes.

So with your fix and my adjustment, all is well now in the realm of time ;)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl