Author Topic: Photoshop Description Text in PM IPTC Stationary Pad  (Read 2490 times)

Offline lgranger

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photoshop Description Text in PM IPTC Stationary Pad
« on: June 27, 2014, 08:30:05 AM »
I am using PM 4.6.9 with OSX 10.8.5

I have noticed that photo descriptions entered using Photoshop do not appear in the caption field of PM's IPTC Stationary Pad, but captions added in PM will overwrite (or append to) any description text already added in Photoshop that is viewable by other programs.

Basically, is there anyway in PM to see description text that was added in Photoshop?

I am asking because I receive photo-shoots from photographers who sometimes add their own descriptions in Photoshop. This text shows up in other programs, like Extensis Portfolio, but not PM.

I could check each photo in Photoshop first, but I'd rather not.

Thanks in advance!

lorin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photoshop Description Text in PM IPTC Stationary Pad
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 08:54:34 AM »
lorin,

I am using PM 4.6.9 with OSX 10.8.5

I have noticed that photo descriptions entered using Photoshop do not appear in the caption field of PM's IPTC Stationary Pad, but captions added in PM will overwrite (or append to) any description text already added in Photoshop that is viewable by other programs.

Basically, is there anyway in PM to see description text that was added in Photoshop?

I am asking because I receive photo-shoots from photographers who sometimes add their own descriptions in Photoshop. This text shows up in other programs, like Extensis Portfolio, but not PM.

The "Description" field you're referring to is an EXIF tag and is not an IPTC or XMP field.  Photo Mechanic does not edit the EXIF Description field.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 09:35:09 AM »
The "Description" field you're referring to is an EXIF tag and is not an IPTC or XMP field.  Photo Mechanic does not edit the EXIF Description field.

Hi Kirk, PM actually does edit the Description tag set by Photoshop; it is an XMP field, not an exif field. I think you may be referring to the comment you can set in-camera, which is an exif field and is indeed not manipulated by PM.

No, Iorin must have some other issue; PM and Photshop to my experience work very well together.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 10:18:54 AM »
Hi Lorin,

Are you looking at  JPGs or Raw files?

It might be worth checking your IPTC/XMP settings to make sure they are set up to best work with Photoshop.

Under Preferences > IPTC/XMP, go down to the lightning bolt icon at the bottom and click it to select the presets for Adobe products.  I think that should help Photo Mechanic pick up the Photoshop-added Description in the Caption field.  It did when I tried it here.

More info and screenshots here:
http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=Preferences#Maximizing_IPTC.2FXMP_Compatibility

I hope this helps,

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits