Author Topic: Edit Status in Photoshop  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Bob

• View Profile
Edit Status in Photoshop
« on: June 27, 2014, 03:48:56 PM »
Hi Mick, at the risk of highjacking the thread.. since you were delving into the innards of xmp/iptc I had a different question: when I caption a photo in PM and enter data into the "edit Status" field in the file info, then edit the photo in camera raw and save in photoshop, the data in that field is lost. Obviously this is an adobe issue, but is there anything you can think of short of complaining to Adobe that might change this? I realize the edit status is a marginally used field, but we do use it. Tx
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:39:29 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Re: Photoshop Description Text in PM IPTC Stationary Pad
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 05:02:25 PM »
Hi Mick, at the risk of highjacking the thread.. since you were delving into the innards of xmp/iptc I had a different question: when I caption a photo in PM and enter data into the "edit Status" field in the file info, then edit the photo in camera raw and save in photoshop, the data in that field is lost. Obviously this is an adobe issue, but is there anything you can think of short of complaining to Adobe that might change this? I realize the edit status is a marginally used field, but we do use it. Tx

"Edit Status" is not part of XMP.  We put it into XMP under our own namespace which other apps should at least maintain, but apparently they're not maintaining it for you.

-Kirk

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Re: Photoshop Description Text in PM IPTC Stationary Pad
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 08:31:09 AM »
Update (Dec 2019) in case anyone finds this thread via search. It seems that Adobe has removed the "Advanced" pane of File Info in current (2019-2020) versions of Photoshop and Bridge. You can see the Edit Status field in the "raw data" but it is not very readable there. End of update. 

Hi Mick, at the risk of highjacking the thread.. since you were delving into the innards of xmp/iptc I had a different question: when I caption a photo in PM and enter data into the "edit Status" field in the file info, then edit the photo in camera raw and save in photoshop, the data in that field is lost.

Hi Bob,

Hmm I just tried this with PM5 and CS6:  I put text into Edit Status on a CR2 Canon Raw file in Photo Mechanic, then opened the Raw in ACR, made some edits, opened into Photoshop and Saved As a JPG and the resulting JPG had the Edit Status field preserved when looking at the new file in PM.   Also when I go back into Photoshop, I do see Edit Status preserved in File Info > Advanced > Schema.

Are you looking for it somewhere else?

-Mick

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 03:14:37 PM by MickO »
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Bob

• View Profile
Re: Edit Status in Photoshop
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 04:07:56 PM »
Either I am in the Twilight Zone, or something has very recently changed here! For years I have had to manually add edit status (our editors insist) every time I put an image through ACR. Tested now, it is now sticking through the acr-pshop save process.
Just had colleague test camera raw 8.3 (older) and that is also sticking, so no clue!
Thanks for checking....