Author Topic: Where are IPTC etc Stationary Pad files on a Mac  (Read 2334 times)

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
Where are IPTC etc Stationary Pad files on a Mac
« on: June 30, 2014, 04:46:17 AM »
Honest, I searched, my Mac and the forums...

Where does PM store the stationary pad files I've saved. I want to transfer them from a backed up hard drive to a cleanly installed new drive.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Where are IPTC etc Stationary Pad files on a Mac
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 06:58:02 AM »
David,

Honest, I searched, my Mac and the forums...

Where does PM store the stationary pad files I've saved. I want to transfer them from a backed up hard drive to a cleanly installed new drive.

Are you referring to your saved snapshots (lightning bolt button)?  Or when you use the Save button?

For snapshots, if you hold down the "modifier key" (Shift on Windows, Option on Mac) and choose one of your snapshots, an OS window will come forward showing your snapshot.

If you're referring to files saved via the Save button, then you'll have to find them yourself.  They're saved wherever you saved them via the file chooser dialog appeared.  That could be in a single place or in dozens of places depending on your choices.

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 08:31:52 AM »
Kirk

I mean lightning bolt saved snapshots.

On my Mac I have the IPTC Stationary Pad open. Holding down the Option key changes the 'clear' and 'seqn...' buttons. That's the only change I see. Option clicking on the lightening bolt just gives me the usual 'save'.

Ah, but that's not unexpected as my snapshots are on another drive (because I put a new one in my Mac). So where did PM save them on my old drive so I can go and fish them out and copy them to my new drive?

Many thanks for your help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 10:37:50 AM »
David,

I mean lightning bolt saved snapshots.

On my Mac I have the IPTC Stationary Pad open. Holding down the Option key changes the 'clear' and 'seqn...' buttons. That's the only change I see. Option clicking on the lightening bolt just gives me the usual 'save'.

Ah, but that's not unexpected as my snapshots are on another drive (because I put a new one in my Mac). So where did PM save them on my old drive so I can go and fish them out and copy them to my new drive?

If you go to your old Mac and option-click on one of your saved snapshots, a Finder window will come forward with the chosen snapshot selected.  You could then copy the entire folder to the same location on your new Mac.

Or if you really want to migrate your prefs over, you could copy the entire parent folder of your snapshots folders to your new system.  Alternatively you can use the Export and Import buttons in the Preferences dialog to produce an export file which you would copy over to your new system and import your prefs from that file.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
Sorry to make a mountain of this... I have a new hard drive in my old Mac, the old drive is no longer the boot drive.

However I think the answer I need is ~/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/IPTCDialogSettings.

Sorry I didn't see this directory earlier!

Thanks for you patience.