Author Topic: PM doesn't start anymore  (Read 3934 times)

Offline Lars

• View Profile
    • DESGphoto / elementalSPORTS
PM doesn't start anymore
« on: July 04, 2014, 07:38:30 AM »
Hi,

after a while PM doesn't start anymore. I receive the following message (after approx. 3min):

"Error: Photo Mechanic Scripting Engine failed to initialize. (Reason: test 1: timeout awaiting result.) If problem persists, try reinstalling Photo Mechanic. Application will now exit."

I've already reinstalled the application (with complete remove of any settings).

System is: Mac 10.9.4 with PM version PhotoMechanic5R15451

Please, I need that program on a daily base and I don't know, how to go on...

Thx for your help in advance,
Lars

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: PM doesn't start anymore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 08:18:14 AM »
Have you already tried resetting (removing) the preferences? (see this forum post for instructions)

If that and reinstalling does not help, there may be something wrong with your system :(
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 10:57:02 AM »
Well, I have done this as described but it doesn't helped. Do you have any other ideas to find out what the problem could be.

I have tested now nearly every other application which is installed - and they all work correctly. So I would not say that I have a general system problem. Is there any debug mode which would help you to give me a more detailed feedback, please.

regards,
Lars

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 02:31:05 PM »
Lars,

Well, I have done this as described but it doesn't helped. Do you have any other ideas to find out what the problem could be.

I have tested now nearly every other application which is installed - and they all work correctly. So I would not say that I have a general system problem. Is there any debug mode which would help you to give me a more detailed feedback, please.

If you can get me the console log and PM.log from your system I can see if there are any clues in there.  The console log can be obtained from the Console application that is in your Applications/Utilities folder.  The PM.log is located in PM's cache folder.  In the finder choose "Go to Folder..." from the Finder's Go menu.  Enter this as the path:

~/Library/Caches/Photo Mechanic/

A Finder window will open.  Find the PM.log file.  Right-click on it and choose "Compress PM.log" from the contextual menu.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your logs.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 03:11:02 PM »
Hi Kirk,

thank you for your fast response. I've compressed the log and have attached it to my reply.

best regards,
Lars

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 11:19:08 PM »
Lars,

Unfortunately that log had no additional information in it.  There is an extended logging facility built into PM5.  You need to create a plain text file named PMDebug.txt and it has to be in PM's Preferences folder.

PM's Preferences folder will be in the following location:

~/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/

Unfortunately Apple decided a few OS versions ago to hide the Library folder within your home folder.  You can still get there though by using the "Go to Folder..." command on the Go menu in the finder.  Enter the path above in the dialog that appears.

Create your PMDebug.txt file there (make sure you save it as a plain text document and not a special format) and make it have the following contents:

SCRIPTING_STARTUP_LOGGING ON

Save the file and relaunch PM5 and get the problem to happen again.  Find the log file, zip it up and attach it here.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 12:26:31 AM »
Kirk,

I've done this and have attached the new log file.

regards,
Lars

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 07:55:42 AM »
Lars,

Can you also open up the Console application and copy any relevant messages (any that start with Photo Mechanic) and paste them in a reply here?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 10:10:09 AM »
Kirk,

there is one message only. It appears when I close the error message window. During the entire start process nothing is written to the console.

05.07.14 19:09:22,786 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[217]: (com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.50016[2786]) Exited with code: 255

regards,
Lars

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 11:14:02 AM »
Lars,

there is one message only. It appears when I close the error message window. During the entire start process nothing is written to the console.

05.07.14 19:09:22,786 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[217]: (com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.50016[2786]) Exited with code: 255

OK. Well then I'm going to have to ask you to get in touch with one of our support folks and they'll help you get things worked out.  +1 503-547-2888 (M-F)

There isn't anything else I can do for you via the forum.  It will take a hands-on approach to solve your issue.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 11:18:33 AM »
Kirk,

I understand :-( I will call the team on Monday.

Thanks for your assistance,
Lars

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 12:54:31 PM »
Kirk,

I made some further tests and becomes stranger and stranger:

• if PM is the first or second program I start after a system reboot, then PM starts (after a approx. 1 min) without any warning. The program itself works without any problems
  • if I try to restart PM again it fails
  • it also fails when the Mac is running for a while longer and some other programs have been started before
  • I've downloaded PM 4.6.9. This version works without any problems

Perhaps these information will give you some other ideas.... (hopefully!)

regards,
Lars

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 09:11:45 AM »
I don't know how and why - but it seems to work fine again... very strange