Author Topic: Nikon Lens Info  (Read 12401 times)

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
Nikon Lens Info
« on: January 12, 2007, 07:26:11 PM »
I am using a Nikon D80 wiht a variety fo fixewd and zoom lenses. PM 4.4.3.3 shows the focal length setting as the lens in the EXIF info. Nikon Capture NX or Picture Project show both the lens used and the focal length ( as in what the zoom lens was set to). Can this information be transferred into PM?

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Nikon Lens Info
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 08:01:49 PM »
Mick,

I am using a Nikon D80 wiht a variety fo fixewd and zoom lenses. PM 4.4.3.3 shows the focal length setting as the lens in the EXIF info. Nikon Capture NX or Picture Project show both the lens used and the focal length ( as in what the zoom lens was set to). Can this information be transferred into PM?

The information is already there.  Photo Mechanic just doesn't currently show that information.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 09:51:11 AM »
Thanks, Kirk.

Is this something that may be available in future versions of PM? Is there anyway to see this information now? It would be great to be able to use this variable in captioning and in other oeprations.

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 10:46:59 AM »
Mick,

Is this something that may be available in future versions of PM? Is there anyway to see this information now? It would be great to be able to use this variable in captioning and in other oeprations.

It is possible that we would add such a feature for Nikon and Canon cameras/lenses.  It requires a great deal of work generating tables of data that map the the manufacturer's undocumented maker note data.

I don't know when we would add such a feature however.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 01:39:44 PM »
Hello Kirk,

if it helps there is a quite complete database of the various Makernotes and their values, try looking here:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

It is also a Perl software, under same license as Perl.

FV

Offline Whatlarks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 04:00:33 PM »
As a potential user currently evaluating Photo Mechanic, I would also like to log my vote for the Nikon NEF 'lens description' field and also the white balance fine tune value so that we see sunny+1 or cloudy-2 as per the actual camera setting. Since we are in this area, a full rendition of the flash setting wouldn't go amiss either ;D

Photo Mechanic is a great piece of software and sits very well with Capture NX. I love the slick interface and quality of display and the fact that using the internal jpeg mirrors all of the NX adjustments.

However, I am one of these old fashioned photographers who likes to try to set the white balance, exposure etc. correctly in the camera and as such these values are quite important to me. If these exif values had been available in the software now I would have already have bought a copy. As it is I am still hanging on with Nikon View and trying to decide whether or not I can do without them.

Just my 2 cents (well 2p actually in the uk)

Ian

Offline BillyDix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 11:45:59 AM »
Just use the edit with feature in PM and set Nikon View to be one of your editors.

Offline Whatlarks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 03:57:34 PM »
Mmm ... my idea was to sort of replace Nikon View ... but thanks anyway