Author Topic: File rename string problem, using code replacement  (Read 8873 times)

Offline DaveRe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
File rename string problem, using code replacement
« on: July 11, 2014, 05:06:10 PM »
I'm having a problem with PM on one particular Mac Mini running Mavericks. I'm trying to run a Live Ingest, and have the incoming files renamed upon ingest. I'm trying to use a rename string like this:

Code: [Select]
{yr4}{mn0}{day0}{tmsl}_\{serialnum}#10\_{fbas}
In my code replacement file, the 10th field is the photographer's initials. This works fine on a couple of machines. On the particular machine I'm having the trouble with (which happens to be the machine I *need* to use for this Live Ingest), PM keeps substituting hyphens ("-") for the backslashes, so it ends up like this:

Code: [Select]
{yr4}{mn0}{day0}{tmsl}_-{serialnum}#10-_{fbas}
I've tried copying and pasting it from other places, typing by hand, etc, and I can't get it to take the silly backslash.

Any thoughts on how to correct this, so I can use code replacement in this rename string?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: File rename string problem, using code replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 05:33:09 PM »
Does the build number of the various machines differ?  The current build of PM5 is 15800.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 12:31:48 AM »
The \ is not a valid character in a filename on Macs. My guess is you mean a / instead (your other machines are likely windows, not?)

HTH,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 01:15:29 AM »
Hayo,

The \ is not a valid character in a filename on Macs. My guess is you mean a / instead (your other machines are likely windows, not?)

I think the OP's Code Replacement delimiter is the backslash character.

I don't know if all of the systems in use have the same Code Replacement delimiter, but that would be another setting to check for consistency.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 04:01:48 AM »
Oops, of course, the \ is the replacement delimiter (duh…) And actually the \ is a valid character in a Mac filename anyway (just not on Windows as there it is the folder delimiter)

However, that all said, it is PM that changes the \ (and a /) to a - in the rename string on the Live Ingest dialogue.
I recall from long ago PM had this same “issue” with other fields (I think I even reported one of them myself), but these now all allow the \, I guess you overlooked the rename box in the Live Ingest dialogue. Should be easy to fix, I think  :)

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline DaveRe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 06:57:32 AM »
Yeah, \ is the code replacement delimiter  :) And, all the systems have the default, that way - they all are using \ as the CR delimiter.

Kirk, everything is running 15451. Looks like you might've just released 15800 on the 11th? I actually tried to look for a software update via PM that day before I posted, and it didn't find anything. To be clear, the machine that shows the symptom, and the machines that do not show the symptom are all running the same build.

I don't think they missed the Live Ingest file rename box for support of code replacement - it works on some machines, just not this one :)

I'm about to upgrade the problem child and my current laptop to 15800 - will report back on results in just a bit...

Offline DaveRe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 07:03:25 AM »

Well, isn't that special. After the upgrade, it's now broken on both machines  :P

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 09:22:54 AM »
If you don't mind changing your Code Replacement delimiter to something else like '-' or some other character besides '/' or '\' then I expect you'll have no problems on any of your systems.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 02:14:40 PM »
If you don't mind changing your Code Replacement delimiter to something else like '-' or some other character besides '/' or '\' then I expect you'll have no problems on any of your systems.

Yeah, that'll probably work too, but the fault is still with PM; it should allow the \ there, just like it does in the other rename string boxes.
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 03:46:34 PM »
Hayo,

Yeah, that'll probably work too, but the fault is still with PM; it should allow the \ there, just like it does in the other rename string boxes.

True, but I don't think the OP wants to wait for a new release to solve his problem. ;)

-Kirk

Offline DaveRe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 08:30:32 AM »
Well... we've trained everyone to use \ as the delimiter, so it's potentially painful on the human end to retrain our editors in that fashion. Something other than a dash works better for us, but that's neither here nor there, really - except that (without having tested it), I'm going to guess that only PC legal filesystem characters work in that field, now, or something?

Is there an easy way to get back to a version that works? We really haven't had any issues we've seen on our end fixed in the last couple of versions, so I don't think there's a problem with that. I'd rather run an older version that doesn't display this bug (at least two versions back, I'm guessing?), rather than have to retrain everyone (those "finger macros" take a while to fix).

My timeline is that I need it to work by next Tuesday - I suspect that's likely before the next planned release?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 08:44:50 AM »
Dave,

Well... we've trained everyone to use \ as the delimiter, so it's potentially painful on the human end to retrain our editors in that fashion. Something other than a dash works better for us, but that's neither here nor there, really - except that (without having tested it), I'm going to guess that only PC legal filesystem characters work in that field, now, or something?

Is there an easy way to get back to a version that works? We really haven't had any issues we've seen on our end fixed in the last couple of versions, so I don't think there's a problem with that. I'd rather run an older version that doesn't display this bug (at least two versions back, I'm guessing?), rather than have to retrain everyone (those "finger macros" take a while to fix).

My timeline is that I need it to work by next Tuesday - I suspect that's likely before the next planned release?

Yes.  I suggest that you go back to an earlier build.

-Kirk

Offline DaveRe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 08:50:13 AM »

Well, maybe that's not going to work, either. I have 15277 on a machine here at home (a release earlier than the one I had on the work machines and laptop originally, and two releases or more back from the latest), and it shows the same behavior. Unless you have the build earlier than that handy and can test it, I think we're going the new delimiter route anyway.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 09:43:25 AM »
Dave,

All of the release builds are listed in the Announcements section of the forums.  How far back you'll need to go is unknown to me.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 07:31:30 AM »
Dave,

I'm working on a fix for your renaming problem in Live Ingest.  I plan to have a build you can test available later today.

-Kirk