Author Topic: Code replacement  (Read 10396 times)

Offline anniewatt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Code replacement
« on: July 13, 2014, 05:16:18 PM »
As an event photographer I have to ID the guests.  I ask for the Guest List in advance.
Can I create a Code Replacement for each event I shoot? 
My clients want the guest's name in the Filename, for example: DSC_1234-Annie Watt, John Smith, Alice Smith

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Code replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 05:55:34 PM »
Annie,

As an event photographer I have to ID the guests.  I ask for the Guest List in advance.
Can I create a Code Replacement for each event I shoot? 
My clients want the guest's name in the Filename, for example: DSC_1234-Annie Watt, John Smith, Alice Smith

Certainly, but you're going to have to be able to identify the person in the photo and enter the shorthand version of their name and Code Replacement will replace your short code with the longer replacement.  If you have a large number of guests but you will only have a photo or two of them, then Code Replacement won't be all that useful to you.  Better would be to simply use an unused IPTC field to enter the person's name (or Persons Shown) on each picture and then use the corresponding IPTC variable in your renaming.  For instance, if you're going through all of your pictures, identifying guests, you could enter their name in the Edit Status field.  Then once all pictures have a name assigned to the Edit Status field, you would select them all, then use the Rename command and enter this as the rename string:

{filenamebase)-{editstatus}

And you would end up with file names just as you described.

Code Replacement is generally used when you want to type something short and have it replaced with something much longer.  You could use it in your case as well depending on how tedious you find it to enter the guests' names.  But basically there is no point in creating a Code Replacement file that looks like this:

Annie Watt[tab]Annie Watt
John Smith[tab]John Smith
Alice Smith[tab]Alice Smith
If you had more information about them that you would want expanded like so:

Annie Watt[tab]Chief Photographer, Annie Watt Studios

then Code Replacement would make more sense.

I hope this helps you, please feel free to ask more questions.

-Kirk

Offline anniewatt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 07:00:10 PM »
Thank you Kirk!

Offline anniewatt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 11:24:13 PM »
Kirk,
As a new person to PhotoMechanic I've been watching any YouTube video I can find on it and haven't found any detailing what you suggest:
1) Use an unused IPTC field to enter the guest's name (on each photo)
2) Use the corresponding IPTC variable

I am confused when you say ...
as you're going through all of your pictures, identifying guests, you could enter their name in the Edit Status field and use the Rename command.

Is there a video anywhere on this?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 11:48:31 PM »
Annie,

As a new person to PhotoMechanic I've been watching any YouTube video I can find on it and haven't found any detailing what you suggest:
1) Use an unused IPTC field to enter the guest's name (on each photo)

When you place your mouse cursor over a thumbnail, you will see four buttons appear.  One of them has an 'i' on it.  This button brings up the IPTC info for the photo you have your mouse on.  You would look at the image in the IPTC Info, identify the person, and enter their name in the Edit Status field.  Then press the "Save & ->" button and do the same for the remaining images.

Then once you've finished identifying every photo you would click the OK button to exit the IPTC Info dialog.  Then you would select all of the images (Command-A or Ctrl-A) and use the Rename command on the File menu.  You would enter this as the renaming string:

{filenamebase}-{editstatus}

Click on the Rename button and all of your images should be renamed according to what you described in your original post.

I do not have a video that I can refer you to, but the above instructions, if followed, should give you the final result you're after.

-Kirk

Offline anniewatt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 11:51:24 PM »
Kirk,
I see you never sleep and THANK YOU, I do understand your very helpful instructions.
Annie