Author Topic: PM starts after initial start up of computer, but later requires reboot  (Read 5874 times)

Offline ZlatkoB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • ZlatkoBatistich.com
PM will start and run only after the initial startup of the computer, but if I quit PM then it won't restart again without a reboot.  Similarly, if I close all open contact sheets, it won't open a new contact sheet without a force quit and reboot.  And if I don't start PM after initial start up of the computer, it won't start at all without a reboot.  This means lots of rebooting.

I'm using PM 5.0, build 15800 on a 2008 Mac Pro with OS X 10.9.4.  I have tried deleting all of the camerabits preferences in Library/Preferences, but it doesn't help.  Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
PM will start and run only after the initial startup of the computer, but if I quit PM then it won't restart again without a reboot.  Similarly, if I close all open contact sheets, it won't open a new contact sheet without a force quit and reboot.  And if I don't start PM after initial start up of the computer, it won't start at all without a reboot.  This means lots of rebooting.

I'm using PM 5.0, build 15800 on a 2008 Mac Pro with OS X 10.9.4.  I have tried deleting all of the camerabits preferences in Library/Preferences, but it doesn't help.  Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.

Do you get any error messages displayed when you launch PM a second time?  If so, can you post a screen shot of the error message?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

-Kirk

Offline ZlatkoB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • ZlatkoBatistich.com
I don't get any error messages when I launch PM a second time.  If I close PM and try to launch it a second time, it won't launch.  It appears to be launching in the dock because the little dot under it is blinking, but it never actually launches.  In Force Quite Applications it shows as:  "Photo Mechanic 5 (not responding)"

Coincidentally, when this happens, Finder also shows as:  "Finder (not responding)".  Relaunching Finder normally doesn't work.  Using Activity Monitor, I can get Finder working again by force quitting WindowServer, but this only helps me to relaunch Finder.  It doesn't help for relaunching PM.

The only way to relaunch PM after it freezes is to Force Quit and reboot.  Upon reboot, I am able to launch PM again, but no error messages appear.  Thanks again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
I don't get any error messages when I launch PM a second time.  If I close PM and try to launch it a second time, it won't launch.  It appears to be launching in the dock because the little dot under it is blinking, but it never actually launches.  In Force Quite Applications it shows as:  "Photo Mechanic 5 (not responding)"

Coincidentally, when this happens, Finder also shows as:  "Finder (not responding)".  Relaunching Finder normally doesn't work.  Using Activity Monitor, I can get Finder working again by force quitting WindowServer, but this only helps me to relaunch Finder.  It doesn't help for relaunching PM.

The only way to relaunch PM after it freezes is to Force Quit and reboot.  Upon reboot, I am able to launch PM again, but no error messages appear.  Thanks again.

Are there any messages in the console or system logs?  Open the Console.app and have a look.  You can find the Console.app in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.

Also, check the PM.log file.  It is in this location:

/Users/your user name/Library/Caches/Photo Mechanic/PM.log

Apple intentionally hides your Library folder.  You can get to it anyway by using the "Go To Folder" command on the Go menu.  Enter the following in the dialog that appears:

~/Library/Caches/

Then open the Photo Mechanic folder.  You should see the PM.log file there.  It is a simple text file so you can open it up with any text editor.  Scroll to the bottom.  Clip out any text you think is relevant and paste it here.  Also paste any console/system log info you think is relevant.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ZlatkoB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • ZlatkoBatistich.com
After attempting to relaunch PM, Console.app shows this (repeating endlessly):

7/14/14 5:16:13.000 PM kernel[0]: IOATAController device blocking bus.
7/14/14 5:16:13.000 PM kernel[0]: IOATAController device blocking bus.
7/14/14 5:16:14.000 PM kernel[0]: IOATAController device blocking bus.
7/14/14 5:16:16.000 PM kernel[0]: IOATAController device blocking bus.
7/14/14 5:16:17.000 PM kernel[0]: IOATAController device blocking bus.
7/14/14 5:16:18.000 PM kernel[0]: IOATAController device blocking bus.
7/14/14 5:16:19.074 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[193]: (com.akamai.client.plist[3008]) assertion failed: 13E28: launchd + 105865 [364E35A7-9FA7-3950-8494-40B49A2E7250]: 0xd
7/14/14 5:16:19.087 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[193]: (com.akamai.client.plist) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
7/14/14 5:16:20.000 PM kernel[0]: IOATAController device blocking bus.
7/14/14 5:16:21.000 PM kernel[0]: IOATAController device blocking bus.
7/14/14 5:16:22.000 PM kernel[0]: IOATAController device blocking bus.

PM.log only shows this:

********************************************************************************
Photo Mechanic version 5.0.0.0 build 15800 (e6ecc1c)
[Mon Jul-14-2014 17:14:29.912][b13a3000][0865884] Initializing DNS resolver

However, PM never actually relaunches.  The only way to actually relaunch PM is to force quit and reboot.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
It looks like you're having a hardware issue. The error "kernel[0]: IOATAController device blocking bus." should not normally happen.  Basically your computer is no longer loading data off of your disk drive and as such, PM won't finish loading.

I suggest taking your computer to an Apple dealer or repair center.

If you have recently installed some new hardware or updated some drivers, uninstalling the hardware or reverting to an older driver may solve the problem.

-Kirk

Offline ZlatkoB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • ZlatkoBatistich.com
Thanks for your help and for giving this such immediate attention.  Sorry to bother you about a hardware/driver issue.  It happens with PM so I assumed it was a PM issue.  But Toast gives me a similar problem, so it could be the same hardware or driver causing that.  I will follow up to see which hardware or diver might be causing this odd problem.  Thanks again.