Author Topic: Configuration  (Read 7086 times)

Offline cdnpilot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Configuration
« on: August 11, 2014, 11:36:12 AM »
Background: I am using PM as the display application on 3 different Mac Mini's that are networked (gigabit hardwired and local) to another Mini (faster CPU and 16 gig memory that has all the photos on it) on site to display photos to clients at figure skating competitions. I just recently (last week) bought a new license to run the latest version on the 3 display stations. There is nothing else installed nor running on these display stations except for PM. I have changed to default configuration to clear the cache (and sort) after 1 day. They do get a lot of use, and periodically we go through and shut the tabs down (could be a number of them). Mavericks is the OS on the mini's and it is current.

I randomly have a problem where PM slows to a crawl, a really slow crawl... The number of photos loaded on a tab could be 100-200 max. I see a message in the bottom left saying something to the effect of "loading sort cache (or something like that). But, it can hang for several minutes which is not really good when we are busy.  :-[ The connectivity to where the files reside does not seem to go away. Since PM will not respond, we quite often have to force it to quit or even reboot the computer. Is there any configuration changes that should be made other than the default settings on the cache page? I have changed the default sort to arrangement - but sometimes we use 2 cameras and that gets the photos out of sync for time. Any other ideas on where to look for an answer?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Configuration
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 12:10:23 PM »
Does the speed you expect from PM return once you restart it?

-Kirk

Offline cdnpilot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 12:34:33 PM »
Yes. Normally, when we start it up it is pretty fast, but it seems as more users use it, it gets a little tired as the day goes on... (my daughter's description  :)).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 02:49:58 PM »
When the browsing becomes slow, is this with images that this particular instance of PM has seen before or is it only happening with new images (never before seen)?

If you empty the Sort Cache (in the Caching section of the Preferences dialog) does the speed return?

-Kirk

Offline cdnpilot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 03:14:21 PM »
No. On Sunday I did just that, but did not help. I ended up forcing PM to close (was not responding) and restarting.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 03:30:23 PM »
No. On Sunday I did just that, but did not help. I ended up forcing PM to close (was not responding) and restarting.

OK.  I don't think you answered this part, so I'll ask again: When the browsing becomes slow, is this with images that this particular instance of PM has seen before or is it only happening with new images (never before seen)?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline cdnpilot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 04:08:25 PM »
Sorry - I thought of the answer but neglected to type it... That is hard to say, but I would guess when downloading new images. A client will only look at the images for maybe 10 minutes max. The only time I have seen it is when bringing in the new images, and again the number is 100-200 and typically closer to 100. These would be never seen before images (every folder is one particular skater).

Offline cdnpilot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 04:07:18 PM »
So any suggestions?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 05:31:30 PM »
No, not at this time.  I don't know how to solve your problem.

You can try our support folks who will interactively try to solve your problem.  Call them at +1 503-547-2888.

-Kirk