Author Topic: Gallery 2 uploading  (Read 34352 times)

Offline ddegner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Gallery 2 uploading
« on: January 13, 2007, 01:00:06 PM »
I use Gallery 2  as my online archive  and know a few other photographers who use it.  Gallery 2 is still in its infancy but has become the highest quality online photo gallery out there.  It is relatively easy to use and free alternative to Photo Shelter and Digital Railroad.

My workflow now requires a few extra steps each time I want to upload pictures to my Gallery 2 instalation because I use Photo Mechanic.  Aperture has a simple plugin which makes it easy to upload to a Gallery 2 installation.  For me to stay with Photo Mechanic I will need similiar plugin.

I wish I was smart enough to know how to make it because I love all the things photo mechanic does for me.  But I don't know where to start.  What are the chances that photo mechanic could become compatible with Gallery 2?

For their API take a look here: http://codex.gallery2.org/index.php/Gallery_Remote:Protocol

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Gallery 2 uploading
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 01:26:22 PM »
I use Gallery 2  as my online archive  and know a few other photographers who use it.  Gallery 2 is still in its infancy but has become the highest quality online photo gallery out there.  It is relatively easy to use and free alternative to Photo Shelter and Digital Railroad.

My workflow now requires a few extra steps each time I want to upload pictures to my Gallery 2 instalation because I use Photo Mechanic.  Aperture has a simple plugin which makes it easy to upload to a Gallery 2 installation.  For me to stay with Photo Mechanic I will need similiar plugin.

I wish I was smart enough to know how to make it because I love all the things photo mechanic does for me.  But I don't know where to start.  What are the chances that photo mechanic could become compatible with Gallery 2?

For their API take a look here: http://codex.gallery2.org/index.php/Gallery_Remote:Protocol

It is entirely possible that we could write an uploader for Gallery 2, but we're finishing up version 4.5 right now and we are not adding any new features until after 4.5.0 comes out.  Gallery 2 support could be added as a minor update to version 4.5 in a few months.

It will have to wait until after we add support for some of the other uploaders first, however.

Thanks for the feedback,

-Kirk

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 08:28:09 PM »
Kirk - Not to be nosey but could you give us a heads up as to which are the  "some of the other uploaders first" ?
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline underground

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 02:33:18 PM »
I too use Gallery2 and would also love to see some integration with PM. Looking forward to the next release, keep the goodies coming :-)

Offline robok

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 06:11:56 PM »
I use Gallery 2 also.

For inspiration on how to create a built in uploader, the multi-media library James river Media Center added this capability to version 12.

To be useful you need to be able to:

* obtain the current folder structure
* create a new folder
* upload to a specified folder

Not much more than that is needed.  Any more maintenance of the Gallery can be done outside of this plugin.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 10:50:29 AM »
wrt Gallery2, can you use FTP with captioned photos? I think Gallery2 had IPTC support in its roadmap sometime last year, I thought it could be working by now?

That's the approach I use, although with Minimal Gallery.
http://minimalgallery.net/home
Not full featured, but can read IPTC captions directly from uploaded photos, and organised simply by subdirectories.

Offline chrisnoland

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • The Nolands
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 06:23:23 PM »
figure I would give this a quick bump... since 4.5.2 is coming out this weekend... maybe this can be added to the 4.5.2.1 release  ;D

Thanks
Chris noland<br />www.thenolands.com

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 11:35:04 AM »
jeah, G2 support is really cool :)
using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline Dimitri

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist and 3D stereo sports photographer
    • View Profile
    • Quebec Press Newsphotos
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 06:40:31 AM »
Indeed, Gallery 2 is very popular and I second the feature request. I also use it to display a few thousand images.

I've been using PM's ftp feature to upload selected images to an FTP directory, then log on to my Gallery 2 site and complete the transaction.  A Gallery 2 integration would definitely be a welcome addition.

Thanks,

Dimitri Papadopoulos
Montreal, Canada
Dimitri Papadopoulos
Newswire Photojournalist and 3D stereo sports photographer

Offline chrisnoland

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • The Nolands
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 12:07:18 PM »
so... anyone else think this is a good idea... 8)

Chris

Offline chrisnoland

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • The Nolands
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 09:18:41 AM »
a bit of a little bump on this topic...

Gallery 2 uploading would save a ton of time
Also referenced on this thread  http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=2551.0

Chris

Offline rimvydukas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 10:12:28 AM »
4.5.3.1 is out and still no Gallery2 support:( Kirk, help us please:)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 12:52:33 PM »
It is 4.5.3.2 public beta 6 now actually. But I think Camerabits will not add such a feature until 4.6 which update will (I really hope) have a lot of features, options and changes.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 01:24:35 PM »
It is 4.5.3.2 public beta 6 now actually. But I think Camerabits will not add such a feature until 4.6 which update will (I really hope) have a lot of features, options and changes.

It is coming in version 4.6.

-Kirk

Offline rimvydukas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 02:52:27 AM »
Very very very nice :)