Author Topic: Tabbed windows  (Read 7074 times)

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
    • Propaganda
Tabbed windows
« on: January 04, 2007, 02:54:18 AM »
I've floated the idea of a split window pain before, where two folders can be viewed in the same window but with a moveable split line down the middle and each pain having it's own size and sort preferences. I've been looking at PM on Windows and noticed it has a tabbed window feature similar to applications like Safari and Aperture. Is this available on the Mac version? If not is it possible?

I'd still like to see a two pained window. Is there any chance of that in the future?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Tabbed windows
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 06:44:00 AM »
I've floated the idea of a split window pain before, where two folders can be viewed in the same window but with a moveable split line down the middle and each pain having it's own size and sort preferences. I've been looking at PM on Windows and noticed it has a tabbed window feature similar to applications like Safari and Aperture. Is this available on the Mac version? If not is it possible?

I'd still like to see a two pained window. Is there any chance of that in the future?

I'm not sure I quite understand what you're talking about with the split idea, but in 4.5 the Mac version will have tabbed Contact Sheets.

-Kirk

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
    • Propaganda
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 09:39:34 AM »
I'm not sure I quite understand what you're talking about with the split idea, but in 4.5 the Mac version will have tabbed Contact Sheets.

-Kirk

Simply two windows in one, with a sliding divider in the middle. For example the moveable slider which seperates the navigator from the contact sheet. So you have one open contact sheet with this slider bar in the middle and the left and right 'panes' can be different folders, each with their own settings for thumbnail size, sorting order etc.

Looking forward to tabbed contacted sheets in 4.5. Any news on a release date?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 09:50:15 AM »

Simply two windows in one, with a sliding divider in the middle. For example the moveable slider which seperates the navigator from the contact sheet. So you have one open contact sheet with this slider bar in the middle and the left and right 'panes' can be different folders, each with their own settings for thumbnail size, sorting order etc.

OK, I understand now.  Adding a splitter is not a direction I want to go towards, sorry.  Each tab does have its own settings, however.

Quote from: Shadow
Looking forward to tabbed contacted sheets in 4.5. Any news on a release date?

First quarter of 2007.

-Kirk

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
    • Propaganda
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 04:34:14 AM »
My tech has asked if there there can be a way to see images split by ingest session, or (my input here) maybe by time segments, ie split into 15 minute sections, these could then each have a tab window of their own using the soon-to-be-released feature in 4.5 for Mac?

Generally we work with all the images ingested into one window. This can be cumbersome when it reaches 300-500 images. Having each ingest in it's own tabbed window would be useful.

Could a tabbed window work as a smart folder? For example could I tell PM to put create a new tabbed window for each photographer (using the byline variable) and whenever I ingest images or change a caption and the byline tag changes the image appears in that particular tabbed window?

Will 4.5 have any support for reading an caption file off the card as a stationary template, to mimic the features of the never-seen Active Memory?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 07:26:32 AM »
My tech has asked if there there can be a way to see images split by ingest session, or (my input here) maybe by time segments, ie split into 15 minute sections, these could then each have a tab window of their own using the soon-to-be-released feature in 4.5 for Mac?

Generally we work with all the images ingested into one window. This can be cumbersome when it reaches 300-500 images. Having each ingest in it's own tabbed window would be useful.

Could a tabbed window work as a smart folder? For example could I tell PM to put create a new tabbed window for each photographer (using the byline variable) and whenever I ingest images or change a caption and the byline tag changes the image appears in that particular tabbed window?

Each tabbed window will show either a single folder, multiple folders, or (Mac only) the results of a Spotlight search.

If you sort by Capture Time your images will appear grouped together.

Otherwise I suggest creating a Custom sort that sorts on the variables that differentiate between the photos, or it might be effective to use those variables for folder naming during Ingest which will cause the photos to be put into different folders.  If you tell Ingest to open them up as contact sheets then the tabs will automatically open.

Quote from: Shadow
Will 4.5 have any support for reading an caption file off the card as a stationary template, to mimic the features of the never-seen Active Memory?

No, that is not planned currently but certainly would be possible.

-Kirk