Author Topic: "Instant search" in structured keyword panel  (Read 11098 times)

Offline Lars

• View Profile
    • DESGphoto / elementalSPORTS
"Instant search" in structured keyword panel
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:15:37 AM »
Hi there,

the structured keyword panel is very nice but one feature is badly missing and makes the usage not really comfortable: a "instant search" for keywords that have to be assigned, like in Lightroom or Google. How about this?

regards,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "Instant search" in structured keyword panel
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 11:40:22 AM »
the structured keyword panel is very nice but one feature is badly missing and makes the usage not really comfortable: a "instant search" for keywords that have to be assigned, like in Lightroom or Google. How about this?

You mean to search for keywords that have not yet been assigned?  For pictures that don't already have a specific keyword?

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 11:59:23 AM »
You mean to search for keywords that have not yet been assigned?  For pictures that don't already have a specific keyword?

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,

I mean that I can already see the matching keywords/paths when I start to enter a string. You can see a real good working example if you check the keyword panel of Lightroom. Something similar to have in PM would be really great ('caus LR is a bit slow). It prevents the user from input errors and annoying typing.

Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 12:37:37 PM »
Lars,

Please post a screen grab or two that illustrates what you're after.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot(s).

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline robert s.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 02:13:58 PM »
Hy,

i think I understand what he mean. When start to type a Keyword in the searchfield PM should search at every written character the Keywords in the Database and then show the matching Keywords. A good example is the search of Google. When you start typing, google begins to show possible searches and then you can choose one of them.
Greetings from Germany,
Robert

Hope is not the conviction that something wil turn out well,
but the cercainty, that someting makes sense, regardless of how it turns out.

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 12:10:49 AM »
Hy,

i think I understand what he mean. When start to type a Keyword in the searchfield PM should search at every written character the Keywords in the Database and then show the matching Keywords. A good example is the search of Google. When you start typing, google begins to show possible searches and then you can choose one of them.

exactly  :D

Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 06:57:52 AM »
OK, but in the Structured Keywords panel, the keywords are in a path.  How would what you suggest as a feature work in practice?

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 07:45:20 AM »
OK, but in the Structured Keywords panel, the keywords are in a path.  How would what you suggest as a feature work in practice?

-Kirk

No problem at all. It should show everything that matches the entered string, including the path. Do you know Lightroom and how is this done there? I would highly recommend this procedure. Please let me know if you don't have the chance to take a look to Lightroom. Then I would try to make a small screencast video.

regards,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 08:04:11 AM »
Lars,

No problem at all. It should show everything that matches the entered string, including the path. Do you know Lightroom and how is this done there? I would highly recommend this procedure. Please let me know if you don't have the chance to take a look to Lightroom. Then I would try to make a small screencast video.

Yes, please do make a video.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 08:22:25 AM »
This would be a good feature if it could be included in the People field too.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 09:17:53 AM »
Please make a new thread with your feature request.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 09:20:50 AM »
Lars,

Yes, please do make a video.

Thanks,

-Kirk

I have send you a link to a screencast via a private message.

-Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 09:24:12 AM »
Lars,

Thank you for the screen cast.  The column browser is only capable of showing one path at a time.  So while it would be possible to take your input in realtime, the browser can only show one path at a time.  It is not a tree view that can show multiple paths.  That is why the find functionality works the way it does and allows you to step through the results.

-Kirk