Author Topic: Rating problems w/ Lightroom & RAW  (Read 6402 times)

Offline dell2405

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Rating problems w/ Lightroom & RAW
« on: January 07, 2008, 10:28:47 PM »
Hello,

I am using the 5-star rating system(PM 4.5.3) to tag Canon MK3 CR2 files because Adobe Lightroom
is supposed to be compatible.  Lightroom(and Capture 1 4) don't seem to recognize my edits using
the tagged images using the 1-5 star system in PM.

I have "Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP"(Always for all photos) in the preferences menu(FILES)
I have "add embedded IPTC" and "add embedded IPTC4XMP" boxes checked for "TIFF-based RAW photos".

What do I need to do to have PM & Lightroom recongnize rating changes I make in each program?

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Rating problems w/ Lightroom & RAW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 10:51:25 PM »
Hello,

I am using the 5-star rating system(PM 4.5.3) to tag Canon MK3 CR2 files because Adobe Lightroom
is supposed to be compatible.  Lightroom(and Capture 1 4) don't seem to recognize my edits using
the tagged images using the 1-5 star system in PM.

I have "Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP"(Always for all photos) in the preferences menu(FILES)
I have "add embedded IPTC" and "add embedded IPTC4XMP" boxes checked for "TIFF-based RAW photos".

What do I need to do to have PM & Lightroom recongnize rating changes I make in each program?

Use XMP sidecar files instead and Lightroom should be capable of picking up the 5-star ratings (we're using their system).  To my knowledge there is no way to get Nikon's software to use the Adobe 5-star rating system.

If you're using Adobe products, you never want to embed XMP data in your RAW files.  It causes complications with their logic for Adobe's rendering settings.  Embedding IPTC is OK however.

-Kirk

Offline dell2405

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 07:35:06 AM »
Thanks Kirk.  Are these IPTC/XMP preference settings appropriate:

When reading:

FOR JPG, TIFF ,,,, "Read embedded IPTC before XMP"
For TIFF-RAW .... "1st Read Embedded IPTC", "2nd Read Embedded XMP" "3rd Read XMP sidecar file"

When Writing IPTC/XMP:

"FOR JPG..Add both IPTC & IPTC4xmp"

For Tiff-RAW

Checked "Add embedded IPTC" & "Add embedded IPTC4xmp"
"Always create/undate XMP sidecarfile with IPTC4xmp"

What are the core differences between IPTC & IPTC4xmp?  Does IPTC4XMP just have more metadate than IPTC?

Thanks. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 08:56:57 AM »
Thanks Kirk.  Are these IPTC/XMP preference settings appropriate:

When reading:

FOR JPG, TIFF ,,,, "Read embedded IPTC before XMP"
For TIFF-RAW .... "1st Read Embedded IPTC", "2nd Read Embedded XMP" "3rd Read XMP sidecar file"

When Writing IPTC/XMP:

"FOR JPG..Add both IPTC & IPTC4xmp"

For Tiff-RAW

Checked "Add embedded IPTC" & "Add embedded IPTC4xmp"
"Always create/undate XMP sidecarfile with IPTC4xmp"

What are the core differences between IPTC & IPTC4xmp?  Does IPTC4XMP just have more metadate than IPTC?

IPTC is the original caption format and is getting replaced by XMP.  IPTC4XMP refers to a core set of fields that are expected in an XMP data file.  XMP can contain far more information than the core IPTC4XMP standard and is extensible.

The settings I would suggest for you are on page 114 of the Photo Mechanic 4.5.3 manual which you can download here:

http://camerabits.fileburst.com/Photo_Mechanic_4.5.3_Manual.pdf

-Kirk