Author Topic: Using Live Ingest on PM 4 with EOS Utility  (Read 7479 times)

Offline Jersey Tom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Using Live Ingest on PM 4 with EOS Utility
« on: July 29, 2014, 09:55:20 AM »
Is there a step-by-step instruction sheet that I can follow to make the correct settings for the Live Ingest feature in PM4? I can't seem to make sense of the options for source, monitoring and destination. My goal: To shoot with my Canon MkIV and see the images appear in the correct folder in PM4.  I used to know how to do this with my MkII's and earlier version of PM. :-\

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Using Live Ingest on PM 4 with EOS Utility
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:28:33 AM »
I found this guide to Tethered Shooting with EOS Utility:
http://www.jibble.org/canon-tethered-shooting/
(There are a lot more out there with a search.)

1. In EOS Utility, you go to File > Preferences and choose your Destination Folder.  (I'd choose some sort of temporary folder, if it were me)

2. In Photo Mechanic, File> Live Ingest, set your Source folder to the folder you chose in EOS Utility.   

3. I'd leave the monitoring options set to default, waiting 30 seconds for new files. But, if you find it's working fine, you can nudge that number downward to speed things up a little.

4. Then choose where you want your photos to finally end up in Photo Mechanic as the Destination Root Path, (optionally you can specify a subfolder, automatically by date for instance) (This would NOT be a temp folder)

That should do the trick.   Let me know if you need more info.

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Jersey Tom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 11:18:48 AM »
OK, I'm 50% there. In EOS Utility, I set the Destination Folder as "EOS Capture" with none of the check boxes below that selected.
In PM, I set the Live Ingest Source Folder(s) as F:\EOS Capture.
But when I shoot and images appear in PM, I get a message "Unable to open F:\EOS Capture\ becasue it is in use by Photo Mechanic for each image that I've shot. But the images DO appear in the open PM Ingest window that is open. 

PS/ No images are appearingin the folder i selected for "Destination Processing" And, after shooting  burst, images in the "Live Ingest Source Folder" don't appear until I reopen EOS Utiity from the task manager bar then minimize it again. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. :o
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:41:09 AM by Jersey Tom »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:35:11 PM »
OK, I'm 50% there. In EOS Utility, I set the Destination Folder as "EOS Capture" with none of the check boxes below that selected.
In PM, I set the Live Ingest Source Folder(s) as F:\EOS Capture.
But when I shoot and images appear in PM, I get a message "Unable to open F:\EOS Capture\ becasue it is in use by Photo Mechanic for each image that I've shot. But the images DO appear in the open PM Ingest window that is open. 

PS/ No images are appearingin the folder i selected for "Destination Processing" And, after shooting  burst, images in the "Live Ingest Source Folder" don't appear until I reopen EOS Utiity from the task manager bar then minimize it again. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. :o

What application is producing the message "Unable to open F:\EOS Capture\ because it is in use by Photo Mechanic"?

-Kirk

Offline Jersey Tom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 01:02:54 PM »
Photo Mechanic 4

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:37:58 PM »
Photo Mechanic 4

I don't understand how Photo Mechanic can say that a folder is in use by Photo Mechanic?  Did you have the folder open as a contact sheet and as a source for your Live Ingest?

-Kirk

Offline Jersey Tom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 02:33:48 PM »
Perhaps I did.  However, I now have my temp file named "EOS Capture" as the "Destination Folder" in EOS Utility and as the "Live Ingest Source Folder"  in PM4.  When I have Live Ingest running and I shoot a burst of maybe 6 frames, I have to first "bring up" the EOS Utility from its button on the launch bar, then bring up PM  from its button on the launch bar to get the images to show in the contact sheet for "EOS Capture"  The images will not appear automatically. This proceedure seems like a work around but I think I'm still doing something wrong.

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 02:54:25 PM »
If you leave Photo Mechanic completely closed (not running at all), are you able to get EOS Utility to put images into F:\EOS Capture as soon as you take them?

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:00:23 PM by Kirk Baker »
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »
Do you have Live Ingest set to Open Contact Sheets During Ingest?  If so, the final destination folder where Live Ingest is transferring your images into will be opened in PM automatically and should refresh as new images arrive.

-Kirk

Offline Jersey Tom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 03:21:57 PM »
With PM completely closed (and unchecked as a "linked software"), EOS Utility sends files to the folder EOS Capture right away.  Interestingly, if PM is linked software in EOS Utility and not yet launched, the first burst of images launches PM and immediatley displays the thumbnail images,...but subsequent bursts do not appear unless I do the work around as I described above. Can I send you a screen shot?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:30:10 PM by Jersey Tom »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 09:34:21 AM »
With PM completely closed (and unchecked as a "linked software"), EOS Utility sends files to the folder EOS Capture right away.  Interestingly, if PM is linked software in EOS Utility and not yet launched, the first burst of images launches PM and immediatley displays the thumbnail images,...but subsequent bursts do not appear unless I do the work around as I described above. Can I send you a screen shot?

Why is there a need to link anything at all?  Let's keep it simple.  Launch PM on its own and start Live Ingest.  Then launch the EOS Utility and start shooting.  Live Ingest should see the new files entering the F:\EOS CAPTURE folder and copy them to your F:\canon test folder and then start showing contact sheets there.

If it still doesn't work, then I suggest you try PM 5 since if there is indeed a bug in Live Ingest, the problem will only be fixed in PM 5.  PM 4 is supported (technical support) but no longer being updated/maintained.  You can try PM 5 for free for thirty days.

-Kirk

Offline Jersey Tom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 12:42:49 PM »
I'll give it a try, thanks.
Nope. If EOS isn't launched first, camera itself shows a "Busy" message. Even with EOS launched and PM4 not "linked", only the first burst automatically loads. After that it's the work around I previously described.
Since this machine is XP Pro, I can't use PM5.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:56:17 PM by Jersey Tom »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 01:01:44 PM »
I'll give it a try, thanks.
Nope. If EOS isn't launched first, camera itself shows a "Busy" message. Even with EOS launched and PM4 not "linked", only the first burst automatically loads. After that it's the work around I previously described.

If you keep shooting, do new images continue to get put into the F:\EOS Capture\ regardless of whether Live Ingest moves them or not?

-Kirk

Offline Jersey Tom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 01:16:05 PM »
Yes they do. That's what's so odd about the problem.  I'll try PM5 in my Win7 laptop, but the trial expired a few months ago. Is there a way to get another trial?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 01:41:25 PM »
Yes they do. That's what's so odd about the problem.  I'll try PM5 in my Win7 laptop, but the trial expired a few months ago. Is there a way to get another trial?

Sure.  Contact our sales folks and they'll help you reset your trial.

-Kirk