Author Topic: Red artifacts on b/w images  (Read 3135 times)

Offline Warren B

• View Profile
Red artifacts on b/w images
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:25:08 AM »
Kirk,

Windows 7 Home Premium x64, PM Version 5.0, build 15800 (e6ecc1c).

I have recently been getting red artifacts on some of my .jpg images, many of which are b/w historical photos. I've tried switching color management on/off, but nothing changes (quitting and relaunching PM doesn't help). When I view the images in IrfanView they look normal. Photos of text (restaurant menu's, exercise diagrams, etc.) also show the red artifacts.

On my backup computer everything looks normal. I exported the PM preferences from my backup computer and imported them into my primary computer but that hasn't changed a thing.

The monitor on my primary computer is a NEC LCD 2490WUXi and I haven't changed anything on it for months.

I can send a couple of .jpgs to you for viewing if that would help.

Many thanks,

Warren

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Red artifacts on b/w images
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:27:57 AM »
Warren,

I have recently been getting red artifacts on some of my .jpg images, many of which are b/w historical photos. I've tried switching color management on/off, but nothing changes (quitting and relaunching PM doesn't help). When I view the images in IrfanView they look normal. Photos of text (restaurant menu's, exercise diagrams, etc.) also show the red artifacts.

On my backup computer everything looks normal. I exported the PM preferences from my backup computer and imported them into my primary computer but that hasn't changed a thing.

The monitor on my primary computer is a NEC LCD 2490WUXi and I haven't changed anything on it for months.

I'd like to see a screen shot of the artifacts that appear in PM.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Warren B

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 10:47:28 AM »
Warren,

I'd like to see a screen shot of the artifacts that appear in PM.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Kirk,

Here is the original image as well as the screen capture. Before sending the photos I opened each one using IrfanView and the original photo is normal, but the screen capture has the red artifacts.

Thank you.

Warren

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 10:54:42 AM »
Warren,

It looks like you simply have the blown highlights feature turned on in your Preview.  If you turn that off, you won't see those artifacts.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Highlights_.26_Shadows

-Kirk

Offline Warren B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 11:51:19 AM »
Warren,

It looks like you simply have the blown highlights feature turned on in your Preview.  If you turn that off, you won't see those artifacts.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Highlights_.26_Shadows

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,

That fixed it! How I changed that setting is a mystery to me, but obviously it didn't change by itself (undoubtedly operator carelessness).

Thanks very much for solving my problem - I truly appreciate your help. I was quite worried that a major catastrophe was about to happen with my primary computer and/or monitor.

Regards,

Warren