Author Topic: Opening files from Photo Mechanic into Lightroom using 'Edit Photo with'  (Read 12964 times)

Offline StephenEdgar

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi Folks,
I would appreciate help regarding the behaviour of the 'Edit Photo with' command in Photo Mechanic.
If I have a file open in Photo Mechanic (which has previously been imported into Lightroom), and carry out the 'Edit Photo with' option, I am brought straight to the 'Import' dialogue in Lightroom. Is this 'normal' behaviour, or is there some method by which I can directly enter the Develop module in Lightroom?
Any clarification on this issue would be appreciated,
Regards,
Stephen

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
Not that I'm aware of. Thatt would be fantastic.
My hunch is that it's out of reach…
Marc

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
That capability is not something that Lightroom offers at this time, as far as I know.   

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
Re: Opening files from Photo Mechanic into Lightroom using 'Edit Photo with'
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 07:03:24 AM »
Just saw this thread, and I'm about a month behind in responding...

Yes, you can skip the Lightroom import dialog and here is how to do it:
in PhotoMechanic, instead of using the command Edit in Lightroom, you need to save the image to a folder that is watched by Lightroom.
In Lightroom you can configure the watched folder in "File" / "Auto import".
Once you do that, any image that you save from PM to the watched folder will automatically pop up in Lightroom.
Happy Editing,
N

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 07:54:05 AM »

in PhotoMechanic, instead of using the command Edit in Lightroom, you need to save the image to a folder that is watched by Lightroom.
Once you do that, any image that you save from PM to the watched folder will automatically pop up in Lightroom.
Happy Editing,
N

Nice tip.
Thanks.

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 05:56:03 AM »

Happy Editing,
N

For the reasons below I don't use this method for sidestepping LR import instead I accept the extra two clicks to import the files and switch to Develop mode in LR. If you prefer skipping them be warned, when you save an image from PM you recompress it that can and probably will lead to decrease in image quality what is usually not someone might want just before opening it in LR to edit the image.
Instead of the Save option I would suggest the Copy feature of PM that simply copies the file as it is without recompressing it. It is especially advised to use copy instead of Save if you plan to use RAW files in LR, not a JPG, TIFF or PSD saved from the RAW by PM.
Also don't forget that with both Save and Copy methods will duplicate the file what will take more disk space and may require extra steps of cleanup to free up the disk space when you no longer need the files. Also keep in mind that your changes made in the PM Contact sheet to the files won't show up in LR as a change made to the original file as you import a different instance of that file copied to a different location and not the one you are changing in PM. If you import the file from the PM contact sheet it takes only one click to update the metadata in LR (however this removes the other image adjustments made in LR).

It is up to you which way you choose but it never hurts to consider these aspects of this workaround.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 09:29:24 AM »
This is one of the reasons I stay away from LR. Thanks to PM I can easily maintain a well working folder structure. I wish to able to edit pictures no matter where they are located. The compulsory database of LR is just a no no for me. Sorry for the OT.

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 02:49:13 AM »
Olidie,
I agree.
However, the only thing I like about Lightroom is the Library which I think is brilliant and is currently holding nearly 400,000 images on a Drobo server. Having tried loads of database programmes from iView, Media Pro, Photo Supreme and Photools, Lightroom is head and shoulders above them for a large collection.

Unfortunately, everything else about Lightroom just does not work for me as I have to always send images to my agency as fast as possible and, because I am red/green colour blind, I always shoot NEFs adjusted with CNX2. Finding an alternative to CNX2, which is no longer supported by Nikon, is a problem though and still looking for an alternative.

David

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 04:27:49 AM »

Happy Editing,
N

For the reasons below I don't use this method for sidestepping LR import instead I accept the extra two clicks to import the files and switch to Develop mode in LR. If you prefer skipping them be warned, when you save an image from PM you recompress it that can and probably will lead to decrease in image quality what is usually not someone might want just before opening it in LR to edit the image.
Instead of the Save option I would suggest the Copy feature of PM that simply copies the file as it is without recompressing it. It is especially advised to use copy instead of Save if you plan to use RAW files in LR, not a JPG, TIFF or PSD saved from the RAW by PM.
Also don't forget that with both Save and Copy methods will duplicate the file what will take more disk space and may require extra steps of cleanup to free up the disk space when you no longer need the files. Also keep in mind that your changes made in the PM Contact sheet to the files won't show up in LR as a change made to the original file as you import a different instance of that file copied to a different location and not the one you are changing in PM. If you import the file from the PM contact sheet it takes only one click to update the metadata in LR (however this removes the other image adjustments made in LR).

It is up to you which way you choose but it never hurts to consider these aspects of this workaround.

Hi,
I have tried using this Auto Import feature but then I realized that I have to create/duplicate my library in LR which is something I definitely do not intend to do.
I just import without copying the images and synchronize when I need to update the "catalogue". It has worked so far.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline smorgan42

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 11:20:02 AM »
This is one of the reasons I stay away from LR. Thanks to PM I can easily maintain a well working folder structure. I wish to able to edit pictures no matter where they are located. The compulsory database of LR is just a no no for me. Sorry for the OT.

Lightroom lets you keep the photos in the same folders that you put them in with PhotoMechanic. You just need to have the "Add" option checked at the top of the Import window in Lightroom.

The Lightroom catalog is one of the really nice features of that program. It works across countless hard drives, and you don't need to have them connected in order to preview and search your images. It just shows you where they are on your hard drives.

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 05:11:48 AM »
Lightroom lets you keep the photos in the same folders that you put them in with PhotoMechanic. You just need to have the "Add" option checked at the top of the Import window in Lightroom.

The Lightroom catalog is one of the really nice features of that program. It works across countless hard drives, and you don't need to have them connected in order to preview and search your images. It just shows you where they are on your hard drives.

Still it would take a constant updating of the LR catalog since I have a specific folder structure and move pictures amongst folders:
Everything goes in the ingest folder, selected pictures are tagged and move to the edit folder and are after that stored in the originals camera folder. jpg are stored in finished folder. So I end up with two folder: raw originals und finished jpgs.
Also another big disadvantage: pictures can't be edited on the card. Sometimes when it has to be really really fast I am so careless that I plugin my card and directly work the pictures in PS.