Author Topic: Convert to DNG on Ingest  (Read 18990 times)

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
    • Hotel Resort Photography
Convert to DNG on Ingest
« on: May 09, 2006, 07:48:34 AM »
Hi
I would really appreciate 'convert to .dng' on Ingest as an option. I know it increases the ingest time but some of my family stuff I shoot on small digi-cameras (such as the Canon S70) whose raw files may not be extensively supported years down the line. Indeed can who can say whether the likes of Nikon D2X  raw files will be supprted indefinitely ? Saving as DNG should solve this problem. As far as I can make out Adobe allow free usage of the DNG format  ( see   http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/license.html   ) & include this as an option in Lightroom. Perhaps it's not as easy as I imagine. It would be good to hear your opinion.  Best wishes

Stephen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Convert to DNG on Ingest
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 08:19:13 AM »
I would really appreciate 'convert to .dng' on Ingest as an option. I know it increases the ingest time but some of my family stuff I shoot on small digi-cameras (such as the Canon S70) whose raw files may not be extensively supported years down the line. Indeed can who can say whether the likes of Nikon D2X  raw files will be supprted indefinitely ? Saving as DNG should solve this problem. As far as I can make out Adobe allow free usage of the DNG format  ( see   http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/license.html   ) & include this as an option in Lightroom. Perhaps it's not as easy as I imagine. It would be good to hear your opinion.  Best wishes

The only option in DNG that will truly make your files future proof is to convert them to linear DNG, but this means that you are doing the 'demosaic' up front which if in the future a better demosaic algorithm comes along then you lose the ability to get better output.

Adobe has released an SDK that allows third party developers like us to render DNG files, linear or not, but it includes a naive demosaic algorithm and as such, using the SDK renders nowhere near the quality that ACR does (especially sharpness).  Even with the SDK, you cannot load a RAW file with it and convert it to DNG.  The SDK really only renders DNG files.

The DNG Converter application is the only way that I know of to convert large numbers of RAW files in various formats to DNG format.  It is free for all to download and it can be run from other apps which means Photo Mechanic could automate this for you.  It would require that the DNG Converter be already installed since we cannot bundle it with Photo Mechanic.

So yes, we could add such a feature.

-Kirk

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 08:45:10 AM »

The DNG Converter application is the only way that I know of to convert large numbers of RAW files in various formats to DNG format.  It is free for all to download and it can be run from other apps which means Photo Mechanic could automate this for you.  It would require that the DNG Converter be already installed since we cannot bundle it with Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Sounds like a good work-around to me. We download the DNG Converter & you have a check-box or something on the Ingest dialogue box which enables us to convert our images to DNG on import (either with or without keeping the files as RAW or whatever) without having to leave the PM interface (good for us and good for you too I would imagine !)

Best

Steve

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 09:32:06 AM »

Sounds like a good work-around to me. We download the DNG Converter & you have a check-box or something on the Ingest dialogue box which enables us to convert our images to DNG on import (either with or without keeping the files as RAW or whatever) without having to leave the PM interface (good for us and good for you too I would imagine !)

Right, but we would need for you to point us to where your DNG Converter is located since it can be anywhere.  This would be done with a standard file chooser dialog.

-Kirk

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 09:48:11 AM »

Right, but we would need for you to point us to where your DNG Converter is located since it can be anywhere.  This would be done with a standard file chooser dialog.

-Kirk

Perfect