Author Topic: RAW FILE EXTENSION  (Read 3153 times)

Offline peterhebeisen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
RAW FILE EXTENSION
« on: January 22, 2007, 03:28:34 AM »
HI, WHEN RENAMING MY SINAR RAWFILES I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THE SINAR.STI EXTENSION TAG. PHOTOMECHANIC THEN AUTOMATICLY ADDS A TIFF OR JPG EXTENSION.  FOR EXAMPLE MY IMAGEFILE IS CALLED: PETER.STI AFTER RENAMING IT BECOMES PETER.STI.TIFF.
CAN U ADVISE THANKS. PETER

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: RAW FILE EXTENSION
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 12:14:56 PM »
Peter,

HI, WHEN RENAMING MY SINAR RAWFILES I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THE SINAR.STI EXTENSION TAG. PHOTOMECHANIC THEN AUTOMATICLY ADDS A TIFF OR JPG EXTENSION.  FOR EXAMPLE MY IMAGEFILE IS CALLED: PETER.STI AFTER RENAMING IT BECOMES PETER.STI.TIFF.

Photo Mechanic does not currently recognize Sinar RAW files.  I'd guess that you have a Mac and that your Sinar RAW files have been mapped to a TIFF filetype and as such when Photo Mechanic (on the Mac only) fails to find a handler for a specific file extension it falls back to asking the Mac OS if the file has a file type assigned to it.  The OS is reporting that it is a TIFF, so when the file is renamed, Photo Mechanic adds the TIFF extension.

There is no workaround for this issue for your file type because it is unrecognized.  If you would like to share a sample file or two with us, we can try to add support for your Sinar RAW files in a future version of Photo Mechanic.  Contact me privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message and I'll give you instructions on how to upload a couple of sample STI files.

Thanks,

-Kirk