Author Topic: Renaming photos  (Read 6508 times)

Offline Orbea2010

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Renaming photos
« on: August 11, 2014, 03:52:30 PM »
I am renaming my photos with the following: Mills_{year4}{month}{day}_{frame4}.  The first set of photos it works fine.  When I try to do it 2 a second of photos I get the following: "Unable to rename, because many photos are being renamed to the exact same name, Mills_200988_.JPG.  Please try using a sequence, or choose different renaming variables so that unique names can be generated for all photos when renaming."  It show in
 the renaming box that the photos will be as the renaming string states. Notice that the error message cuts off anything after day in the requested string I have tried different variables with same result.  This has occurred on 2 different computers both Apples using OS X 10.9.4 and PM 5 build 15800 Any suggestions?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Renaming photos
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 04:39:39 PM »
I am renaming my photos with the following: Mills_{year4}{month}{day}_{frame4}.  The first set of photos it works fine.  When I try to do it 2 a second of photos I get the following: "Unable to rename, because many photos are being renamed to the exact same name, Mills_200988_.JPG.  Please try using a sequence, or choose different renaming variables so that unique names can be generated for all photos when renaming."  It show in
 the renaming box that the photos will be as the renaming string states. Notice that the error message cuts off anything after day in the requested string I have tried different variables with same result.  This has occurred on 2 different computers both Apples using OS X 10.9.4 and PM 5 build 15800 Any suggestions?

Are you renaming the same set of photos a second time or is this a different set of photos?

-Kirk

Offline Orbea2010

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 02:07:23 AM »
It is renaming different photos of a different day but in the same folder

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 06:27:43 AM »
It is renaming different photos of a different day but in the same folder

Try putting "{year4}{month}{day}_{frame4}" as one of your three Contact Sheet labels.  (Preferences->Contact Sheet)  Then look at your thumbnails.  Do they all evaluate to reasonable values or do some of them have no {frame4}?  If so, what is special about them?  Have they already been renamed to something other than how your camera names them?  What camera are they from?  What kind of images are they?

-Kirk

Offline Orbea2010

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 08:41:38 PM »
I did as you asked After 0006 the native name is different eg:  DSC_0007 (2) JPG otherwise they are the same.  Is the "(2)" the problem? If so how do I fix it?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 09:03:15 PM »
I did as you asked After 0006 the native name is different eg:  DSC_0007 (2) JPG otherwise they are the same.  Is the "(2)" the problem? If so how do I fix it?

Can you post a directory listing that shows the filenames?  Feel free to take a screen grab of the listing and post it here.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Orbea2010

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 03:16:25 AM »
I hope this gives you what you want/need

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 04:08:50 AM »
Right, that looks like to be your problem. PM uses the out-of-camera filename to determine the frame number. The (2) likely makes this go awry. My bet is that if you remove the (2) everything will be fine :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Orbea2010

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 09:23:14 PM »
How do I remove the (2)?  When I try to remove it I end up: Mills_200988_A.JPG.  Notice the absence of frame number and an "A" in its place.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 10:06:47 PM »
How do I remove the (2)?  When I try to remove it I end up: Mills_200988_A.JPG.  Notice the absence of frame number and an "A" in its place.

You can double-click on the filename in the contact sheet and remove it by deleting the characters.

-Kirk

Offline Orbea2010

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 10:28:27 PM »
One of the suppose advantages of PM is the renaming of files.  I did as was suggested file by file but now instead of putting frame number in, when asked to rename,  it now puts in a letter (A B C).  Having to rename or change file by file seems to defeat the idea.  Please, also, note that I stated in previous reply that the letter substitution was happening.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 11:34:45 PM »
If you get an additional letter, then it seems the file without any suffix is already present in the directory. That would also explain the (2) as that is a common way to denote a second version of a file.

In the file listing you submitted I didn't see it, but I'm sure it must be there. Perhaps you have made it hidden somehow?

Here's what I suggest you do: open the folder in Finder (you're on a mac, right?), create a new folder (can be anywhere, even a subfolder), move the (2) files there. Open the new folder, rename the files there so they do not have the (2) part any longer (in the Finder: select a file hit enter and remove the (2) from the name), move them back to the original folder, I'm quite certain you will get a message that the files are already there. If not, problem should be solved too as all files will now be as if they came out of the camera.

Now you should be able to perform your rename in PM as required.

HTH,
Hayo

P.S. Rename that Mills_200988_A back to the original DSC_ file name before continuing too.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:41:07 PM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl