Author Topic: xmp files not being generated for Nikon D600/D7000  (Read 4774 times)

Offline myotis

• View Profile
xmp files not being generated for Nikon D600/D7000
« on: August 13, 2014, 01:21:27 AM »
I have just realised that on ingesting, XMP files are being generated for my Fuji, Panasonic, Nikon 1, and Nikon d70  files, but not for my Nikon D7000 and D600 files?

I assume I am doing something stupid here, but would appreaciate a pointer as to what it is.

This is with Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 15800 (e6ecc1c) on Mavericks if that is relevant.

Many thanks,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: xmp files not being generated for Nikon D600/D7000
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 06:34:50 AM »
Graham,

I have just realised that on ingesting, XMP files are being generated for my Fuji, Panasonic, Nikon 1, and Nikon d70  files, but not for my Nikon D7000 and D600 files?

I assume I am doing something stupid here, but would appreaciate a pointer as to what it is.

This is with Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 15800 (e6ecc1c) on Mavericks if that is relevant.

Please post a screen shot of your IPTC/XMP settings.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 06:51:42 AM »
Hello Kirk,

Attached is the preference page (as a png, I hope that is OK)

Cheers,

Graham

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 07:16:26 AM »
Graham,

What file format are your two cameras producing?

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 07:31:29 AM »
Hello Kirk,

They are all producing *.nefs The Nikon 1, V1 and V3, and Nikon D70 which are generating XMP files and the Nikon D600 and D7000 which are not.

I have attached a copy of some files from one of my folders:

The files where the middle number ends 386 are from the D7000, and the ones where the middle number ends 131 are from a Nikon 1 V1, ingested on the same day, same card reader, same macbook, same make of SD card etc.

But looking back through my files, I now realise that none of my D7000 or D600 files (uploaded with different computers, but with PM settings copied across so they match) have generated xmp files.

Cheers,

Graham

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 08:16:38 AM »
Graham,

What happens if you change the IPTC for one of your D7000 images after the Ingest?  Or set a tag/rating/color class on them?  Does a sidecar XMP file get created then?  If you quit PM and run it again, did the changes you made appear again in the contact sheet?

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 08:28:02 AM »
Hello Kirk,

Yep, if I add location to the Iptc data and click OK, an xmp is generated,  I then added a rating and a label, shut PM down and reopened it with all this information was kept intact.

Then I tried just adding a star rating and that also generates an xmp file.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 08:38:11 AM »
Graham,

Hello Kirk,

Yep, if I add location to the Iptc data and click OK, an xmp is generated,  I then added a rating and a label, shut PM down and reopened it with all this information was kept intact.

Then I tried just adding a star rating and that also generates an xmp file.

Then check your Ingest settings.  Are you applying an IPTC Stationery Pad during the Ingest?  If not, then no XMP sidecar will be generated.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 08:52:41 AM »
Hello Kirk,

You are correct, the Apply IPTC stationary pad to photos is not selected, but I have folder after folder of files, where Nikon D7000, D600, Fuji X100s, and Nikon 1 files have been ingested on the same day with the same set up and every single Fuji and Nikon 1 file has an XMP and not a single D7000 or D600 file has an XMP.

Is it in fact something odd about the Fuji and Nikon 1 files that is generating XMP files without the stationary option selected, and in fact its the Nikon D7000 and D600 that are behaving as expected.

I am off to try again but with the stationary pad ticked.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 12:49:47 AM »
This is all apparently working now, I have reimported the Nikon D7000/D600 files and they all now have xmp files.

I remain puzzled however as to why even without the stationary box ticked, the fuji and nikon 1 files were generating xmp files, but I guess we put that down to one of the many mysteries of using computers.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Graham