Author Topic: What variable for uncompressed file size (jpg)?  (Read 7698 times)

Offline Andymann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
What variable for uncompressed file size (jpg)?
« on: August 13, 2014, 06:23:52 AM »
I cannot find the variable in the info text settings for the uncompressed file size. All what I find is the size of the compressed .jpg. Any idea?

And perhaps a minor improvement: The variable for print size in Centimeters is "printsizecm" not "printsizecms". May be this can be fixed in a future update. Just a cosmetic issue. Thank you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: What variable for uncompressed file size (jpg)?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 06:45:56 AM »
Andy,

I cannot find the variable in the info text settings for the uncompressed file size. All what I find is the size of the compressed .jpg. Any idea?

There is no such variable.  The calculation is easy enough, though one would have to decide if all images should be treated as simple RGB or RGB with alpha channel.  Then there are images that are not RGB at all and are instead CMYK or L*ab.  Also, each channel may be 8-bit or 16-bits in size.  The filesize is always consistent but is the actual size of the file on disk and not the rendered image size.

And perhaps a minor improvement: The variable for print size in Centimeters is "printsizecm" not "printsizecms". May be this can be fixed in a future update. Just a cosmetic issue. Thank you.

It shows up as printsizecms for me in the Variables list panel.

-Kirk

Offline Andymann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 07:07:35 AM »
Thank you Kirk.

I have a client who requires always a minimum, uncompressed file size from 24 MB e.a./image. Always regular .jpgs, no channels, no masks, no layers, only Adobe RGB. If I have a contact sheet with different .jpgs how can I see quickly in a tool-tip like the info-right-click-text what uncompressed file-size my image has without opening it in PS or any other application. All what I see now is the compressed file-size in MB in the info-text.

Centimeters: The correct abbreviation for Centimers is "cm" not "cms". Currently in my info text it displays as 1234 x 1234 cms.

Is there a variable for the Photoshop Quality possible? I would like to see how I did save a .jpg, with "10" or "12"? Can this be set anyhow?

Thank you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 07:25:19 AM »
Andy,

I have a client who requires always a minimum, uncompressed file size from 24 MB e.a./image. Always regular .jpgs, no channels, no masks, no layers, only Adobe RGB. If I have a contact sheet with different .jpgs how can I see quickly in a tool-tip like the info-right-click-text what uncompressed file-size my image has without opening it in PS or any other application. All what I see now is the compressed file-size in MB in the info-text.

I have no solution for you.

Centimeters: The correct abbreviation for Centimers is "cm" not "cms". Currently in my info text it displays as 1234 x 1234 cms.

We could change the output of the variable, but I'd be hesitant to change the variable name itself since it would break some workflows.

Is there a variable for the Photoshop Quality possible? I would like to see how I did save a .jpg, with "10" or "12"? Can this be set anyhow?

No, that information is not recorded in the image (that I am aware of).

-Kirk

Offline Andymann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 09:21:32 AM »

No, that information is not recorded in the image (that I am aware of)

[/quote]

In Exiftool I can see that PS-Quality information from a simple .jpg

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 09:28:54 AM »
Andy,

Well I learned something new today.  If PM were to have a variable for that information, it would not be of help for your original need would it?

-Kirk

Offline Andymann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 09:30:56 AM »
Honestly I do not understand what you mean....

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 09:37:48 AM »
Andy,

Knowing what quality Photoshop saved a JPEG won't help you with your original need which was to know the uncompressed size for an image, right?  Meaning, we're straying from solving your original need.

-Kirk

Offline Andymann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 09:42:13 AM »
Now I understand Kirk.

Correct, the missing quality-variable does not help with the uncompressed file size variable. But both missing variables would improve my personal workflow in PM. So the conclusion for my request is: Missing two variables in PM

As I understand both issues cannot be solved.

Thank you
Andy