Author Topic: choosing email app to send email from PM  (Read 7350 times)

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
choosing email app to send email from PM
« on: November 11, 2014, 10:09:54 AM »
I'm using Mail.app to send pictures using PM. Mail.app sends attachments "in-line" which causes trouble for some users I send to. I think I want to use PostBox http://postbox-inc.com/index.php as that sends attachments as attachments. I assumed PM would recognise PostBox as a mail application and let me use it to send pictures but it seems not.

As far as I know three of the six options PM can use to send emails are no longer available and/or out of date. While wondering if PM will be updated to reflect the changes in email applications, does anyone know which of the currently available options I could use to send real (not in-line) attachments?

The choice is:

Entourage (no longer available AFAIK)
Eudora (RIP)
Mail (sends in-line attachments)
Mailsmith (last updated in 2010)
PowerMail (expensive, rather dated)
Outlook (not an option, thanks all the same!)

DG

Offline Mika

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: choosing email app to send email from PM
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 10:24:40 AM »
David,

Check out Attachment Tamer: http://lokiware.info/Attachment-Tamer
That will fix the attachments for Mail.app. I've faced this problem numerous times until I found this little add-on.

- Mika

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 10:27:33 AM »
Thanks Mika, I know Attachment Tamer and have been using it. Unfortunately (as of this morning) it hasn't been upgraded for Yosemite. He's always a bit slow keeping it updated but never usually as long as this. That's one reason I'm looking for an alternative.

DG

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 10:45:50 AM »
Try Affixa at https://www.affixa.com/desktop/download/ . I find it works very well in conjunction with Gmail.
David

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 11:00:27 AM »
Try Affixa at https://www.affixa.com/desktop/download/ . I find it works very well in conjunction with Gmail.

<cough> System Requirements
You just need a PC running Windows XP SP3 or later, or a server running Windows Server 2003 R2 or later. You must also have the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed.</cough>

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 11:08:15 AM »
David,

I'm using Mail.app to send pictures using PM. Mail.app sends attachments "in-line" which causes trouble for some users I send to. I think I want to use PostBox http://postbox-inc.com/index.php as that sends attachments as attachments. I assumed PM would recognise PostBox as a mail application and let me use it to send pictures but it seems not.

As far as I know three of the six options PM can use to send emails are no longer available and/or out of date. While wondering if PM will be updated to reflect the changes in email applications, does anyone know which of the currently available options I could use to send real (not in-line) attachments?

The choice is:

Entourage (no longer available AFAIK)
Eudora (RIP)
Mail (sends in-line attachments)
Mailsmith (last updated in 2010)
PowerMail (expensive, rather dated)
Outlook (not an option, thanks all the same!)

Feel free to suggest other email applications, but they have to offer a fully-featured AppleScript capability or I won't be able to make PM work with them.  They have to allow the following:

Create a new email.
Set the title, recipients, and body.
Add attachments.

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 12:57:11 AM »
Just to update with my solution. I'm using PowerMail http://www.ctmdev.com/powermail/index.html for sending pictures out via Photo Mechanic while keeping Apple's Mail.app for general use.

The only other option I could see was PostBox which isn't (yet!) compatible with PM. I may have described PowerMail as rather dated but it is industrial strength and working very well.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 01:34:50 AM »
Hi David,

A short search on the internet revealed a simple solution for Mail, you can tell it to not generate inline attachments by changing a setting (on the command-line).

Here's one of the many articles describing how to do that.

Spoiler: defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 01:39:21 AM »
Thanks Hayo, let me know if that actually works as it seems to set the viewing, not the encoding. I'm pretty sure its one of the many solutions I've seen which I've rejected.

Offline Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 06:12:22 PM »
I tried Mailsmith.. on Mavericks, and it works fine...
not fancy, but works
(I prefer outlook, but for some reason PM will no longer launch Outlook (2015 mac) without an applescript error, and nothing I can do will fix it )