Author Topic: PM 5 no longer opening multiple RAW in Photoshop CC 2014  (Read 41415 times)

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
PM 5 no longer opening multiple RAW in Photoshop CC 2014
« on: August 13, 2014, 03:31:44 PM »
I'm using Photo Mechanic 5.0 (build 15800) on Windows 8 and until recently was using Photoshop CC 64bit which would allow me to select multiple files and then use "Edit selected photos" and they would open in Adobe Camera RAW in Photoshop.  I recently upgraded to the new Photoshop CC 2014 64bit and now that feature no longer works.  I can open a single photo, but when I select multiple ones it switches to Photoshop but doesn't open anything.  If I drag those multiple photos over to the new Photoshop window, it opens the JPG in Photoshop, and also the RAW files in Adobe Camera RAW so not ideal since I like to have both maximized on my screen at the same time and don't want the JPGs also loaded.

So I think Adobe changed something with the behaviour in their new build of Photoshop CC 2014 on Windows.  Is there any way to get the old behaviour back?

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM 5 no longer opening multiple RAW in Photoshop CC 2014
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 03:53:15 PM »
I'm using Photo Mechanic 5.0 (build 15800) on Windows 8 and until recently was using Photoshop CC 64bit which would allow me to select multiple files and then use "Edit selected photos" and they would open in Adobe Camera RAW in Photoshop.  I recently upgraded to the new Photoshop CC 2014 64bit and now that feature no longer works.  I can open a single photo, but when I select multiple ones it switches to Photoshop but doesn't open anything.  If I drag those multiple photos over to the new Photoshop window, it opens the JPG in Photoshop, and also the RAW files in Adobe Camera RAW so not ideal since I like to have both maximized on my screen at the same time and don't want the JPGs also loaded.

So I think Adobe changed something with the behaviour in their new build of Photoshop CC 2014 on Windows.  Is there any way to get the old behaviour back?

Have you checked all of the preferences in Photoshop (especially those that deal with Adobe Camera RAW) to see if any of them affect the behavior you're seeing?

-Kirk

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 05:05:14 PM »
I did check all the settings I could find and I don't see anything different than what I had before.  Is anyone else seeing this?   Does anyone at Camera Bits have access to Photoshop CC that they could upgrade to the latest version and see if they can reproduce it?

A bit more information.  If I set Photoshop to be the default program in Windows for "RAW" files and I change the config in PM to be "Let Windows Open Programs" then it will open then one at a time.  After I edit the first image in Camera Raw then close it, the second will open.  What I'm looking for is both of them open at the same time that worked previously.

Have you checked all of the preferences in Photoshop (especially those that deal with Adobe Camera RAW) to see if any of them affect the behavior you're seeing?

-Kirk
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 05:07:20 PM by JeffG »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
Jeff,

Let's take PM completely out of the equation then.  Go to your files in Windows Explorer and select several RAW files and use the 'Open with' command that appears when you right-click on the selected photos and choose to open them with Photoshop.  Do they open all at once, or one at a time?

If they open one at a time, then I think there is something wrong with your installation of Photoshop and you should contact Adobe for help.  If they open all at once, please let me know.

-Kirk

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 03:16:04 AM »
Good test.   They open one at a time from Windows Explorer.  I will start looking more closely at PS.

Jeff,

Let's take PM completely out of the equation then.  Go to your files in Windows Explorer and select several RAW files and use the 'Open with' command that appears when you right-click on the selected photos and choose to open them with Photoshop.  Do they open all at once, or one at a time?

If they open one at a time, then I think there is something wrong with your installation of Photoshop and you should contact Adobe for help.  If they open all at once, please let me know.

-Kirk

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 03:53:31 AM »
FYI, I tried doing a complete uninstall and re-install of Photoshop CC 2014 and I'm still getting the same issue so it must be something that Adobe changed in the behaviour and will have to talk to them.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 09:06:24 AM »
FYI, I tried doing a complete uninstall and re-install of Photoshop CC 2014 and I'm still getting the same issue so it must be something that Adobe changed in the behaviour and will have to talk to them.

Strange. If they changed anything, they only added this bug to the Windows version; everything works as before on a Mac.

One thing though: are you perhaps trying to open different kinds of (raw) files? This indeed does not seem to work properly…
  • When I try to edit a dng and a couple of nefs (in that order), I first get the dng, and then the nefs.
  • However, when I try it with two dngs and a couple of nefs, only one dng gets opened, followed by the nefs.
  • And when I try with a nef, two dngs and then some more nefs, I get all nefs together but the dngs never open.

Not problematic, just weird.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 01:56:49 PM »
They are all the same raw file type, no mixed.  Does anyone else out there that has PS CC 2014 on Windows, do you see the same behaviour as me?

One thing though: are you perhaps trying to open different kinds of (raw) files? This indeed does not seem to work properly…

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 06:53:50 AM »
I am seeing the same behaviour as you Jeff on CC2014 on Windows 8.1

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 09:55:18 AM »
I am seeing the same behaviour as you Jeff on CC2014 on Windows 8.1

Thanks for confirming so at least I know it is not specific to my system.

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 05:16:56 PM »
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Photoshop CC 2014
Photo Mechanic build 15807

No problem here. When I select multiple Nikon raw files in Photo Mechanic and "Edit Selected Photos with" ALL images open in Adobe Camera Raw.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 05:19:02 PM by Woodie »

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 02:12:04 PM »
Have you tried making PS the default software for RAW files in windows and at the same time assigning Photoshop as default application for editing within PM? That's the way I got it to work but on a Win 7 and CS6 machine when I had the same problem.

Oliver

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 04:06:32 PM »
That is what I have it configured to do right now, but when I selected "Edit select photos..." in PM or "Edit select photos with" and choose Photoshop, the PS windows comes to the foreground but nothing happens, no raw files are loaded.

Have you tried making PS the default software for RAW files in windows and at the same time assigning Photoshop as default application for editing within PM? That's the way I got it to work but on a Win 7 and CS6 machine when I had the same problem.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 05:18:50 PM »
Jeff,

That is what I have it configured to do right now, but when I selected "Edit select photos..." in PM or "Edit select photos with" and choose Photoshop, the PS windows comes to the foreground but nothing happens, no raw files are loaded.

Have you tried contacting Adobe?  If I remember correctly, you did the test where PM wasn't involved and ACR still didn't queue up all of the images you sent to it via Windows Explorer.

-Kirk

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 04:58:11 PM »
I posted a message on their forums but others have said that CS6 and CC (not 2014) could never open multiple RAW files at once using Windows Explorer.  What exact mechanism does PM use when you point it to Photoshop.exe?  Does it do something like run:  photoshop.exe "file1.rw2 file2.rw2" on the command line?  How does PM call Photoshop when you specify its binary?

Have you tried contacting Adobe?  If I remember correctly, you did the test where PM wasn't involved and ACR still didn't queue up all of the images you sent to it via Windows Explorer.