Author Topic: PM 5 no longer opening multiple RAW in Photoshop CC 2014  (Read 41409 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM 5 no longer opening multiple RAW in Photoshop CC 2014
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 06:36:20 PM »
I posted a message on their forums but others have said that CS6 and CC (not 2014) could never open multiple RAW files at once using Windows Explorer.  What exact mechanism does PM use when you point it to Photoshop.exe?  Does it do something like run:  photoshop.exe "file1.rw2 file2.rw2" on the command line?  How does PM call Photoshop when you specify its binary?

No, PM does not open them from a command line.  There is a limit to the length of the parameters that can be passed via the command line which would be quickly exceeded.

PM simulates a drag and drop operation if the application is name Photoshop.exe (or the shortened Photoshp.exe).  If its file version is greater than 10 (CS4) then it drops them on the main window, otherwise for older versions it uses the window at the center of the main window as the drop target.

-Kirk

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 07:12:17 PM »
Ok so that is very different then.  I shouldn't be comparing what happens if I select two raw .rw2 files in Windows Explorer and right clicking and selecting "Open", I should be comparing what happens when I select the two .rw2 files and drag and drop onto the main Photoshop.exe window.

When I do that in Windows Explorer, PhotoShop properly opens both raw images into Camera RAW at the same time as expected.  If I select those same two files in PhotoMechanic and right click and select "Edit selected photos" then the PhotoShop window comes to the foreground but nothing opens.  That seems to imply that PM did not send the drag and drop to PS in a way it understands.

So we have a different behaviour in Windows Explorer and PM.  Could PM be detecting Photoshop's new version number incorrectly?  This "simulated drag and drop" worked fine with my Photoshop CC (not 2014) version.

No, PM does not open them from a command line.  There is a limit to the length of the parameters that can be passed via the command line which would be quickly exceeded.

PM simulates a drag and drop operation if the application is name Photoshop.exe (or the shortened Photoshp.exe).  If its file version is greater than 10 (CS4) then it drops them on the main window, otherwise for older versions it uses the window at the center of the main window as the drop target.

Offline Axel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 01:12:40 PM »
Same Problem - Windows 8.1 - Photoshop CC 2014!
But also with two ore more Jpeg-Files

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 01:08:29 PM »
Lured by Adobe's offer for a reduced PS CC and LR package here in Germany I can now confirm that I too have problems. PM seems to have problems opening with "Edit selected photos with..." on a Win 8.1. PC running PS CC 2014.

Key "E" or right click "Edit photo" with a single picture works fine. STRG+E or "Edit selected photos" has no effect except bringing PS to the foreground. But no ACR is opened. BUT when I pull the selected pictures manually from PM to PS CC the ACR starts up just like wanted.

As soon as I change the default application back to CS6 everything works fine again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 02:25:26 PM »
We'll try to solve this problem in the next build of PM 5.  For now, you can drag and drop images from PM onto the Photoshop window and it should open everything you dropped onto it.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 05:33:52 PM »
I just subscribed to Photoshop CC (2014) and it opens all of the CR2 files that I send to it at once.  I am selecting multiple images, right-clicking on one of the selected images and choosing "Edit selected photos".  They all open up in ACR, queued up on the left side of the plugin window.

How are you all trying to edit images?  Maybe there are some different code paths in PM that don't work correctly.

Please let me know the exact set of steps that reproduce the problem, what your Launching settings look like (I assigned PS CC (2014) as a default editor for photos,) and any other details you think may be useful.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 05:57:11 PM »
Doh, why does life have to be so difficult... :-(

Here is what I do after PM5 loads to configure:
1) Preferences -> Launching -> Default application to edit photos:
2) Select:  Assign default application:
3) Click on "..." and select path:  C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Photoshop.exe
4) click on "open"
5) click on "OK"

Now we are back to main PM screen with photos displayed. 
6) Select two .rw2 image files. 
7) Right click and select "Edit selected photos"

Photoshop CC 2014 will load and come to the foreground and then nothing.  It will launch photoshop but does not actually open any images.  If you are following this procedure exactly and it still doesn't work for you, would you like me to send you a couple of .rw2 files in case there is something bizarre with how it handles my Panasonic raw files vs your .cr2 files?

Note, this is using Windows 8.1 64bit with Windows 64bit Photoshop CC 2014 (which I believe just comes in 64bit now).

Please let me know the exact set of steps that reproduce the problem, what your Launching settings look like (I assigned PS CC (2014) as a default editor for photos,) and any other details you think may be useful.

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 06:12:14 PM »
FYI, I found some .cr2 files on my system and they will not open either so that is not problem, the act the same as my Panasonic raw files as well.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 08:27:25 PM »
Jeff,

FYI, I found some .cr2 files on my system and they will not open either so that is not problem, the act the same as my Panasonic raw files as well.

Can you tell me how to reproduce the problem?  Are you using keyboard shortcuts, menu commands, contextual menus, toolbar buttons, etc.?  I need to know how to reproduce the problem.

If you use the right-click contextual menu from the Contact Sheet, do multiple images open at once in ACR?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 11:42:11 PM »
Here's how I reproduce the problem on my Win 8.1 64bit 8GB Ram PC:

- PM 5.0 build 158000 > Edit > Preferences > Launching > Default application to edit photos: Assign default application "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Photoshop.exe"
- Selecting 2+  pictures in PM
- STRG+E brings PS CC window to the foreground but nothing more happens.
- Right click "Edit selected photos" brings PS CC window to the foreground but nothing more happens.
- Right click "Edit selected photos with Photoshop.exe" brings PS CC window to the foreground but nothing more happens.
- Drag and drop into PS CC works.

When assigning "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" every tested mothod works.
Tested with Nikon NEF files and Samsung SRW.

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2014, 03:28:48 AM »
I just gave you a step-by-step list on how to reproduce the problem in the message above the one you just quoted, in reply #22 here:  http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=9322.msg45614#msg45614

As I said in the message when I right-click the 2 images I have selected in the contact sheet and choose "Edit selected photos", nothing opens in ACR, Photoshop comes to the foreground and nothing.  Exact same result as olidie just posted.

When you install a new Photoshop, it installs it side-by-side in Windows so you have multiple versions as the same time.  Just wanted to confirm that you update the path in your copy of PhotoMechanic to point to your *new* CC 2014 install before you started trying to reproduce it?

Can you tell me how to reproduce the problem?  Are you using keyboard shortcuts, menu commands, contextual menus, toolbar buttons, etc.?  I need to know how to reproduce the problem.

If you use the right-click contextual menu from the Contact Sheet, do multiple images open at once in ACR?

Thanks,

-Kirk
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 03:30:19 AM by JeffG »

Offline Axel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2014, 04:13:44 AM »
Hi Kirk,

the same as Olidie!
Computer and Laptop.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2014, 10:18:41 AM »
Jeff,

I just gave you a step-by-step list on how to reproduce the problem in the message above the one you just quoted, in reply #22 here:  http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=9322.msg45614#msg45614

As I said in the message when I right-click the 2 images I have selected in the contact sheet and choose "Edit selected photos", nothing opens in ACR, Photoshop comes to the foreground and nothing.  Exact same result as olidie just posted.

Are you choosing "Edit selected photos" from the contextual menu?

When you install a new Photoshop, it installs it side-by-side in Windows so you have multiple versions as the same time.  Just wanted to confirm that you update the path in your copy of PhotoMechanic to point to your *new* CC 2014 install before you started trying to reproduce it?

Yes, I have set PM to launch the new Photoshop.  It is the new Photoshop that comes forward and brings up its ACR plugin.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2014, 11:22:27 AM »
Everyone,

I have now tested the following:

Launching preference set to use the RAW of the RAW+JPEG pair when editing.

From the Contact Sheet with multiple RAW+JPEG images selected:

Image->Edit Photos  (and Ctrl-E)
Right-click on one of the selected photos and chose "Edit selected photos"
Right-click on one of the selected photos and chose "Edit selected photos with" and selected Photoshop.exe

In all three cases, all of the selected RAW files opened up in Camera RAW 8.6.

From the Preview window:

Pressed the edit icon in the toolbar
Right-click on the preview image and chose "Edit photo"
Right-click on the preview image and chose "Edit photo with" and selected Photoshop.exe

In all three cases the RAW preview image opened up in Camera RAW 8.6.

I tried both CR2 and RW2 images.

Everything worked fine for me on my Windows 7 x64 system.  At this point I have to expect this problem only affects Windows 8.1 systems.  I'll delve into this problem after the holiday weekend.

-Kirk

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2014, 12:24:17 PM »
Yes, from the contextual menu.

Are you choosing "Edit selected photos" from the contextual menu?