Author Topic: Option to limit resizing to downsize only during Save As  (Read 3739 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Option to limit resizing to downsize only during Save As
« on: August 27, 2014, 01:15:25 AM »
Currently when using the scaling options in the Save As dialog, images over the amount you set will be scaled down, and images under that amount will be scaled up. I think it would be handy to have the ability to limit the scaling to downsize only.

Not sure if others do the same, but I often have batches of random-sized images, and more often than not my goal is to create images no bigger than X pixels. I don't really need or want to up-size any images, I just want to keep them under a certain size.

Maybe a "scale down only" checkbox?

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Option to limit resizing to downsize only during Save As
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 06:34:27 AM »
Currently when using the scaling options in the Save As dialog, images over the amount you set will be scaled down, and images under that amount will be scaled up. I think it would be handy to have the ability to limit the scaling to downsize only.

Not sure if others do the same, but I often have batches of random-sized images, and more often than not my goal is to create images no bigger than X pixels. I don't really need or want to up-size any images, I just want to keep them under a certain size.

Maybe a "scale down only" checkbox?

So if the sizing calculation would result in a larger image, it would be ignored (as if scaling had been temporarily turned off for that one image)?

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Re: Option to limit resizing to downsize only during Save As
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:45:45 AM »
Yes, exactly. The idea here is simply to keep the image quality as good as possible by avoiding unnecessary alterations.

If there are only a few images to work with it's easy to pick out only the ones I want to scale down, but in a large folder it isn't so easy. The way I do it now is to sort using width for horizontals, then select only those above my size limit. It can get a bit cumbersome though because verticals need to be checked separately by height.

So I have a workaround for this, but thought I'd throw it out there to see if other folks could use this as well.

Thanks.