Author Topic: Pictures become corrupt when loading in photo mechanic 5  (Read 3536 times)

Offline Noel Moan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Pictures become corrupt when loading in photo mechanic 5
« on: August 27, 2014, 10:33:15 AM »
recently when loading my pictures through Photo Mechanic 5 it randomly stops and the images become corrupt. I have tried eliminating things such as new cards, card readers, check firmware is up to date. sometimes i think it's solved but when least expecting it, it happens again. Is this happening to anyone else. Any help would be much appreciated as i am nearly afraid to take on any more jobs in the event of losing my files.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Pictures become corrupt when loading in photo mechanic 5
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 10:38:56 AM »
recently when loading my pictures through Photo Mechanic 5 it randomly stops and the images become corrupt. I have tried eliminating things such as new cards, card readers, check firmware is up to date. sometimes i think it's solved but when least expecting it, it happens again. Is this happening to anyone else. Any help would be much appreciated as i am nearly afraid to take on any more jobs in the event of losing my files.

What OS are you running?
You say "loading my pictures".  Is this problem with images you're ingesting or with images that have existed on your hard drive already?
If it is during Ingest, try copying your images from your card to your computer via the OS instead of with Ingest in Photo Mechanic.  Are the images corrupt then?

Things I suggest you do:

Check your disk drives for errors.
Perform a RAM test on your computer.
If the camera card is old, retire it and use a new one.

-Kirk

Offline Noel Moan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »
I am using OS X version 10.9.4. I have bought new cards and card readers thinking this was the problem. I don't ingest the cards, i normally just scroll down them in P.M and select which ones i want and open them in photoshop. But now when scrolling down normally through a large amount of pics it will crash, eject disk or corrupt the images.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 12:52:55 PM »
I am using OS X version 10.9.4. I have bought new cards and card readers thinking this was the problem. I don't ingest the cards, i normally just scroll down them in P.M and select which ones i want and open them in photoshop. But now when scrolling down normally through a large amount of pics it will crash, eject disk or corrupt the images.

I suspect something is going wrong with your system itself.  I suggest taking it to an Apple store to have it checked out.  Also, never edit on your card.  Always download your images first.  Otherwise, you're working with the only copy of the images in existence.  If there is a failure of some kind (like when an app tries to write to a full disk) then your image can be irreparably damaged.

-Kirk