Author Topic: Nikon D600 - Not seeing locked files  (Read 5292 times)

Offline PerroneFord

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • PTFPhoto - Sports, Fashion, Swimwear
Nikon D600 - Not seeing locked files
« on: September 14, 2014, 06:49:37 AM »
HELP!  Got a big one to solve.

On my PC laptop running Win8.1/Build 15800, PM is not seeing my locked files.  Files from my other tested cameras (D3s, D800 seem to be working just fine.  The same D600 files show locked just fine on my iMac which is running build 13915. 

I don't know if it's the build, or the OS, or the Mac/PC thing that is causing problems but I am afraid to touch the iMac since it's working properly.  I've got a HUGE ACC game on Saturday, and I could really use a fix for this before that game.

Thanks much,

-Perrone / PTFPhoto.com
Photographer - Florida State U.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Nikon D600 - Not seeing locked files
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 09:57:37 AM »
Perrone,

On my PC laptop running Win8.1/Build 15800, PM is not seeing my locked files.  Files from my other tested cameras (D3s, D800 seem to be working just fine.  The same D600 files show locked just fine on my iMac which is running build 13915. 

Then let's take PM out of the equation.  Browse the files on the card with Windows Explorer (OS window) and get the Properties of a photo you know to be locked.  What do the Properties say?

-Kirk

Offline PerroneFord

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 05:33:29 PM »
I shot 5 test images and locked two of them in the camera.

The two locked images show as "Read Only" in the file properties.  The other 3 do not.  When loading PM, none of the five show tagged.  So the OS is seeing them properly, but PM is not.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 01:12:18 AM »
Are you perhaps applying an IPTC stationary pad that has “Tag” enabled and set to “Untagged”?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 06:39:32 AM »
Perrone,

The two locked images show as "Read Only" in the file properties.  The other 3 do not.  When loading PM, none of the five show tagged.  So the OS is seeing them properly, but PM is not.

Simply browsing the card won't show the images as tagged.  You would have to Ingest them.  Also like Hayo said, make sure if you're applying an IPTC stationery Pad that you're not also applying a Tag value as well.

-Kirk

Offline PerroneFord

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 07:33:46 AM »
Odd.

1.  I am not applying any Stationery pads
2.  Browsing the card has ALWAYS shown me locked/tagged images.  I've used PM this way since the day I got it.
3.  If I insert cards from 2 other cameras the behavior is perfect simply reading the cards.  Only the card from the D600 fails to work
4.  The same set of cards work PERFECTLY on the Mac with no issues.

Perrone,

Simply browsing the card won't show the images as tagged.  You would have to Ingest them.  Also like Hayo said, make sure if you're applying an IPTC stationery Pad that you're not also applying a Tag value as well.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
Perrone,

2.  Browsing the card has ALWAYS shown me locked/tagged images.  I've used PM this way since the day I got it.
3.  If I insert cards from 2 other cameras the behavior is perfect simply reading the cards.  Only the card from the D600 fails to work

Is your D600 putting any metadata into the images?  Are your IPTC/XMP settings the same on your Mac and your Windows PC?

-Kirk

Offline PerroneFord

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 03:01:40 PM »
I will check this tonight when I get home.  I know my settings are the same between platforms.  I did screen shots of the iMac and used the same settings on the PC laptop.  Again, what makes this so strange, is that when I do this with cards from my D800 and D3s, it works as expected.  It's peculiar to the D600.  And that same D600 works fine on the Mac.  If the D600 was doing something odd, I'd expect it to fail on the Mac as well.  If it was just a PM problem, I'd expect it to fail on the laptop for the cards from other cameras.

Then there is the question of the laptop having a newer version of the software.

Perrone,

Is your D600 putting any metadata into the images?  Are your IPTC/XMP settings the same on your Mac and your Windows PC?

-Kirk

Offline PerroneFord

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »
So yes. the D600 EXIF information is populating.  Lens info, color info, etc.  it's just not picking up the locked/tagged flag.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 04:58:48 PM »
Perrone,

So yes. the D600 EXIF information is populating.  Lens info, color info, etc.  it's just not picking up the locked/tagged flag.

Can you provide me with a sample image?  I'll lock it on my card and browse/ingest with PM on Windows and see what I can find.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline PerroneFord

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 09:21:25 PM »
Wanted to update the thread here.  It appears the issue is NOT with PM in this case.  In some more thorough testing, it appears that my laptop is not seeing the lock/tagging info on cards 64GB or larger.  When I did the same tests on cards smaller than this, everything was just fine.  I did find it remarkably odd that PM was able to get the EXIF and other data from these images, but simply couldn't get the info if the cards were larger.  I am going to look for updated drivers and see if that helps any.

-P

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 10:00:49 AM »
Perrone,

Wanted to update the thread here.  It appears the issue is NOT with PM in this case.  In some more thorough testing, it appears that my laptop is not seeing the lock/tagging info on cards 64GB or larger.  When I did the same tests on cards smaller than this, everything was just fine.  I did find it remarkably odd that PM was able to get the EXIF and other data from these images, but simply couldn't get the info if the cards were larger.  I am going to look for updated drivers and see if that helps any.

It's good that you figured that out since I would not have been able to reproduce the problem on my system (I don't have a 64GB card anyway.)

-Kirk

Offline PerroneFord

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 11:00:04 AM »
Perrone,

It's good that you figured that out since I would not have been able to reproduce the problem on my system (I don't have a 64GB card anyway.)

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk.  I started going with the larger cards when I started putting remotes in places I couldn't get to during games.  Generally on the roof for basketball.  Getting a D800 and using it for sports was also a large factor.  But it seems I will have to back down to 32GB cards for the time being.  At least for things I need to work with in the field.  I don't process remotes until I get home, so I can keep those on the 64GB cards for now.