Author Topic: Keywords  (Read 4687 times)

Offline Primoz

• View Profile
    • PhotoSI Sports photo agency
Keywords
« on: January 18, 2007, 01:18:52 AM »
Hi everyone
Last few weeks I had a bit more work, where I have one event on morning, and next different one on evening, and next day it goes same way... same morning event as previous day, and same evening event as previous evening again. So I tried to set my workflow a bit different. I never needed this before, so I didn't notice this till now. When I open keyword editor (edit keywords), I write keywords for specific event and I tried to save keywords with "lightning bolt" in keyword editor, so next time I would write captions for basketball I could get already written set of keywords for basketball, and when I would cover skiing, I could get already written set of keywords for skiing.
And here's my problem. It looks like I can't save anything. I mean I can save, but when I select saved "snapshot" in keyword editor, keywords field is still empty. In all other windows (ingest, iptc stationary pad, etc) this thing works normally, but in keyword editor I'm not able to do it same way. Is this some bug, or is it just not meant to be working this way?
It's not really big deal, since I found workaround and I save whole set in IPTC stationary pad, but sometimes it would be nice to have just set of keywords ready.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Keywords
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 06:56:54 AM »
Primoz,

Last few weeks I had a bit more work, where I have one event on morning, and next different one on evening, and next day it goes same way... same morning event as previous day, and same evening event as previous evening again. So I tried to set my workflow a bit different. I never needed this before, so I didn't notice this till now. When I open keyword editor (edit keywords), I write keywords for specific event and I tried to save keywords with "lightning bolt" in keyword editor, so next time I would write captions for basketball I could get already written set of keywords for basketball, and when I would cover skiing, I could get already written set of keywords for skiing.
And here's my problem. It looks like I can't save anything. I mean I can save, but when I select saved "snapshot" in keyword editor, keywords field is still empty. In all other windows (ingest, iptc stationary pad, etc) this thing works normally, but in keyword editor I'm not able to do it same way. Is this some bug, or is it just not meant to be working this way?
It's not really big deal, since I found workaround and I save whole set in IPTC stationary pad, but sometimes it would be nice to have just set of keywords ready.

The snapshot button in that dialog only saves/restores keywords from the Master list on the right side.  Is your Master list empty when you save your snapshot?  Then it would also be empty when you restore your snapshot.

If you want to get keywords from the left side to the right, select them and then click on the -> button to move them to the Master list.  Then save the snapshot.  You can have multiple Master keywords lists that way.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Primoz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 11:17:37 PM »
Thanks Kirk for your answer. It works a bit different then I was thinking. I was thinking snapshot saves current keywords list and I didn't even think about master list. So yes my master list was empty. When I followed your advise, everything started to work as it should :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 11:38:12 PM »
Thanks Kirk for your answer. It works a bit different then I was thinking. I was thinking snapshot saves current keywords list and I didn't even think about master list. So yes my master list was empty. When I followed your advise, everything started to work as it should :)

In version 4.5 there are two snapshot buttons: one for each list.  That way people can keep short lists ready for direct application instead of having to move the keywords from the Master list to the Current Keywords List before they can apply them.

-Kirk

Offline Primoz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 01:58:01 AM »
I would say it would be more logical so as you said it will be in 4.5, but it could also be, that my logic is a bit weird  ;D Anyway... even so as it is now, is just fine for me, now when I know how to use it.
Maybe I should really go read manual  ;D But I'm one of those who go read manual only when really everything else fails  ;D