Author Topic: PM 5 slow to wake up after sleep mode  (Read 6223 times)

Offline robgo2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM 5 slow to wake up after sleep mode
« on: September 19, 2014, 07:05:21 PM »
I have just upgraded to a new Mac Pro 2013 running Mavericks 10.9.5.  If the computer has been in the sleep mode for any length of time, upon awakening, PM takes up to 30 seconds to become responsive.  I had previously found it to be a bit sluggish on my old Mac Pro running OS 10.7.4, but I did not expect it to get worse with a much faster machine.  Any thoughts?

Rob 

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: PM 5 slow to wake up after sleep mode
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:41:46 PM »
Hi Rob,

With Mavericks, the drives are also put to sleep if they are not used for a while (even if they are ssd!), and that causes quite a long pause sometimes. A number of seconds, and with all applications that acces the file system (e.g., when you try to open a new file or folder). What you describe could be explained by this too (every time when PM gets the focus, it rescans the folders in the contact sheet for changes), but then you should see this slugginess with all applications, not just with PM.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline robgo2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 09:31:21 AM »
Hi Rob,

With Mavericks, the drives are also put to sleep if they are not used for a while (even if they are ssd!), and that causes quite a long pause sometimes. A number of seconds, and with all applications that acces the file system (e.g., when you try to open a new file or folder). What you describe could be explained by this too (every time when PM gets the focus, it rescans the folders in the contact sheet for changes), but then you should see this slugginess with all applications, not just with PM.

Yes, I have noticed that the Finder also cannot access my external Thunderbolt drives for quite a while after waking from sleep mode.  Even worse, these external drives sometimes get unmounted after waking up. Is this a known issue with Mavericks?  If so, then the only solution for me may be to never put the system to sleep. (I should mention that the external drives are SATA II to TB linked by a Sonnett SE II. I'm yet not sure if the same would happen with an external USB drive.).

In any event, I am getting the feeling that Mavericks has a serious flaw, which is all the more a pity given that the new Mac Pro is designed to be used with external Thunderbolt drives.

Rob

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 01:02:10 PM »
Hi,
I have also noticed that with my MB Pro with Mavericks.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 01:12:34 PM »
Even worse, these external drives sometimes get unmounted after waking up. Is this a known issue with Mavericks?

What version of the OS are you running? If I recall correctly there was indeed a problem with sleep disconnecting drives. This was supposedly fixed in a later release. But if you're already on the latest (10.9.5) , than I guess they didn't fix it.

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline robgo2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 01:17:11 PM »
Even worse, these external drives sometimes get unmounted after waking up. Is this a known issue with Mavericks?

What version of the OS are you running? If I recall correctly there was indeed a problem with sleep disconnecting drives. This was supposedly fixed in a later release. But if you're already on the latest (10.9.5) , than I guess they didn't fix it.

Cheers,
Hayo

I am on 10.9.5.  When I spoke with Apple support yesterday, they had me restart the computer in Safe mode, but that has not solved the problem.  Maybe Yosemite will be the answer, but I have a feeling that it is a hardware problem that does not have a software solution.

I still have to test whether the same unmounting problem occurs with USB drives.

Edit:  Tested with a USB drive:  No problem.  The drive was active immediately after reawakening, but the TB drives were not.

Rob
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:52:41 PM by robgo2 »

Offline millertodd232

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 06:40:26 AM »
I have just upgraded to a new Mac Pro 2013 running Mavericks 10.9.5.  If the computer has been in the sleep mode for any length of time, upon awakening, PM takes up to 30 seconds to become responsive. I am not sure why this is happening and needed help. I had previously found it to be a bit sluggish on my old Mac Pro running OS 10.7.4, but I did not expect it to get worse with a much faster machine.  Any thoughts?

Rob

Is it always 30 seconds or does it sometimes take longer to become responsive?  For me anything longer than 10 seconds to wait is a pain because I'm so used to having fast response but I guess anything is better than getting no response at all. At least it's working upon waking.  Still I hope they get a fix for this.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:59:49 PM by millertodd232 »

Offline robgo2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 07:51:08 AM »
I have just upgraded to a new Mac Pro 2013 running Mavericks 10.9.5.  If the computer has been in the sleep mode for any length of time, upon awakening, PM takes up to 30 seconds to become responsive.  I had previously found it to be a bit sluggish on my old Mac Pro running OS 10.7.4, but I did not expect it to get worse with a much faster machine.  Any thoughts?

Rob

Is it always 30 seconds or does it sometimes take longer to become responsive?  For me anything longer than 10 seconds to wait is a pain because I'm so used to having fast response but I guess anything is better than getting no response at all. At least it's working upon waking.  Still I hope they get a fix for this.

I have two issues with Sleep mode:  1) Thunderbolt drives take about 30-45 seconds to become responsive.  Possibly, it takes longer on occasion, but I have not been timing it consistently; 2) Sometimes the drives become unmounted, requiring a reboot of the computer.  The only solution that I have found is to leave the machine on full time.  This goes against my grain as an energy conscious person, but I have been told by an "expert" in these matters that Sleep mode uses nearly as much juice as resting Awake.  If someone can confirm that as a fact, it will put my mind at ease.

Rob

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 10:09:27 AM »
Sorry, but I can't put your mind at ease ;)
Macs consume considerably less power when put to sleep.
If you want to know how much less, you could buy a device to measure the power consumption of your Mac and see how much it drops when it goes to sleep.
Hayo Baan - Photography