Author Topic: Edeting extended IPTC tags in PM  (Read 3185 times)

Offline torkjell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Edeting extended IPTC tags in PM
« on: September 22, 2014, 06:05:57 AM »
Hello..

I'm new to PM and in this forum and hope someone can help concerning configuring PM in conjunction adding metadata to images when uploading.
We use the IPTC #1005 (Destination) as a flag field containing information to the receiving DB ysten what to do with the image.
I need a simple way to present this IPTC field to the the PM user at the stage the image(es) are to be uploaded.

Found a way to simplify the stationary pad, but not a way to add other iptc feelds.

Anyone have a suggestion how to do this.

Torkjell

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Edeting extended IPTC tags in PM
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 06:17:57 AM »
Torkjell,

I'm new to PM and in this forum and hope someone can help concerning configuring PM in conjunction adding metadata to images when uploading.
We use the IPTC #1005 (Destination) as a flag field containing information to the receiving DB ysten what to do with the image.
I need a simple way to present this IPTC field to the the PM user at the stage the image(es) are to be uploaded.

Found a way to simplify the stationary pad, but not a way to add other iptc feelds.

Anyone have a suggestion how to do this.

PM does not have the ability to add custom IPTC fields.

-Kirk

Offline torkjell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 12:42:21 PM »
 :'(   Any Good reasons for that?

Is it something that will be added in newer versions?

Our company is using Fotoware FotoStation today and I'm condering changing to PM.
It is a challenge though if I have to redesign our backend image flow due to lack of setting metadata as needed.
The archiving system we're using (DCX from digital Collection) holds a lot of metadata that I would preferably set on input.

I presume other companies is meeting the same challenges.

Any reccomondations ?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 01:36:36 PM »
:'(   Any Good reasons for that?

IPTC in general is a standard that has been replaced by XMP.  We still support IPTC and will do so for the foreseeable future.  Any ability to add custom fields for display and editing in PM will be done with XMP.

Is it something that will be added in newer versions?

At this time we are not planning to make available editors/designers for custom metadata fields.  We haven't had a large number of requests from our users to add the ability to create/edit custom metadata fields.

-Kirk

Offline torkjell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 12:00:55 AM »
"Any ability to add custom fields for display and editing in PM will be done with XMP."

Thats  sufficient for our need, but how is that done in PM (I want user defined content in the different xmp nodes?)

T

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 03:37:31 AM »
The current version of PM does not support custom fields. Kirk was referring to the fact that IF they would allow custom fields in the future, they would only build it for XMP.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 03:40:24 AM »
Hi,
Considering that the metadata is applied to XMP and IPTC as well, the IPTC Stationery Pad should be better described or named IPTC/XMP Stationery Pad? Is that right? or am I missing something?
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 03:49:31 AM by Luiz Muzzi »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 04:45:19 AM »
Considering that the metadata is applied to XMP and IPTC as well, the IPTC Stationery Pad should be better described or named IPTC/XMP Stationery Pad? Is that right? or am I missing something?

If I recall correctly there was a short discussion on this a while ago. I think the consensus was that an even better term would be “Metadata”. I'm not sure if there are any plans to rename the dialogue (and any other applicable reference to IPTC) though, as that could potentially confuse existing users. I'm all for renaming it though ;)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 04:03:39 AM »

If I recall correctly there was a short discussion on this a while ago. I think the consensus was that an even better term would be “Metadata”. I'm not sure if there are any plans to rename the dialogue (and any other applicable reference to IPTC) though, as that could potentially confuse existing users. I'm all for renaming it though ;)

That is exactly what I thought of (if I am not mistaken, that is the way it appears in LR).
Thanks, Hayo.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi