Author Topic: Photo Ninja and PM  (Read 5477 times)

Offline HvTFoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Ninja and PM
« on: October 01, 2014, 12:36:19 PM »
As Capture NX2 is being phased out (doubt that it will be supported on Yosemite) I'm currently exploring other raw processors and came across Photo Ninja. Is there a way to have raw edits done in Photo Ninja show up in PM5 the same way as raw edits done in Capture NX2 show up? When reading the FAQ for Photo Ninja (http://www.picturecode.com/tutorials/photomechanic.php) it looks as it could work but I haven't managed to have the nef thumbnail update to reflect the edits.

Regards

Hans

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Ninja and PM
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 01:12:37 PM »
Hans,

As Capture NX2 is being phased out (doubt that it will be supported on Yosemite) I'm currently exploring other raw processors and came across Photo Ninja. Is there a way to have raw edits done in Photo Ninja show up in PM5 the same way as raw edits done in Capture NX2 show up? When reading the FAQ for Photo Ninja (http://www.picturecode.com/tutorials/photomechanic.php) it looks as it could work but I haven't managed to have the nef thumbnail update to reflect the edits.

I don't believe that Photo Ninja can update the embedded preview in RAW files.

Capture NX/NX2 did update the embedded preview on NEF files.

-Kirk

Offline HvTFoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 02:14:13 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I'm out of luck then.

//Hans

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 03:35:45 PM »
Hans,

I guess I'm out of luck then.

Well, that depends on what lengths you're willing to go to in order to make things work.  If you generate JPEGs from your adjusted NEFs with the same base name as your NEF files, PM will pair the two images and show you the JPEG version which will reflect your changes.  This method is not specific to Photo Ninja--it will work with any RAW rendering program.

If you never want to make JPEGs and only want to work with NEFs then you either have to adopt another RAW format like DNG which is an 'open standard' and can have its embedded previews updated by any application, or then you're out of luck.

-Kirk

Offline HvTFoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 01:03:13 AM »
Kirk,

I'm willing to go quite far but I'm not willing to adopt the dng-format. Made a jpg with the same base name as the edited nef but the jpg show up alongside the nef (i.e. I see the edited jpg and the original nef) and if that's what's meant with paired images I succeded but I guess you mean that the nef itself should reflect the edit by displaying the jpg edits. Tried to change my settings in PM (currently set to reflect Capture NX workflow) but didn't succeed. If it's possible to have the images show as "one" edited image any input on what changes I have to do to my settings is highly appreciated.

Regards

Hans

Offline HvTFoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 01:28:46 AM »
Kirk,

Problemed solved. Found the box I needed to check to have PM display the paired image.

Regards

Hans

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 02:49:14 AM »
I've been watching this and will try what has been suggested to line the jpeg with the NEF. 

I have Photo Ninja which is perfectly okay for broad changes to NEF files and I am happy with that.

However, one of the beauties of CNX2 is the ability to very quickly change or adjust the colour of somebody's tee shirt, judogi or anything else with the U-points on the NEF. That cannot be done with any other raw editor and using the the U-points of the NIK collection on a jpeg does not work unless it is very small adjustments.

That is why I am still working with CNX2.

David

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 03:25:35 AM »
However, one of the beauties of CNX2 is the ability to very quickly change or adjust the colour of somebody's tee shirt, judogi or anything else with the U-points on the NEF. That cannot be done with any other raw editor and using the the U-points of the NIK collection on a jpeg does not work unless it is very small adjustments.

That is why I am still working with CNX2.

David

This is easily done with ASP. ASP has flexible local editing, in fact you define any zone and apply almost any editing available in ASP: color, sharpening, tone, noise, etc..

Of course this is not applied to the embedded jpg, you have to convert to get it. But I agree, its a shame they ditched CNX.

Francis

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 03:58:03 AM »
Francis,

Can you tell me what ASP is?

David

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 04:55:52 AM »
Hans,

I guess I'm out of luck then.

Well, that depends on what lengths you're willing to go to in order to make things work.  If you generate JPEGs from your adjusted NEFs with the same base name as your NEF files, PM will pair the two images and show you the JPEG version which will reflect your changes.  This method is not specific to Photo Ninja--it will work with any RAW rendering program.

If you never want to make JPEGs and only want to work with NEFs then you either have to adopt another RAW format like DNG which is an 'open standard' and can have its embedded previews updated by any application, or then you're out of luck.

-Kirk

Hi,
That is exactly what I do, ie, make jpegs with the same base name and it works perfectly. I do not want to work with DNG either.
I use LR for my edits and export/convert to jpeg when finished.
It is amazing to see that sometimes I am carried away with twinkles in LR and there comes out a jpeg that is actually worse than the original raw...(I use Cmd+J to see them alongside). In these cases I undo and save another jpeg.
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi