Author Topic: Creating camera profiles for raw conversion  (Read 5319 times)

Offline HvTFoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Creating camera profiles for raw conversion
« on: October 12, 2014, 12:47:06 PM »
I know this is a Photo Mechanic forum but since I seen this as a forum with knowledgeable persons using different cameras and different raw converters I post my question in this forum despite it's not related to PM. Should a moderator find that this is the wrong forum please delete the post.

Been using Nikon Capture NX2 for several years but as Nikon no longer will support the program I'm looking for alternatives (I'm on the Mac system). The program that has gotten most of my interest is Photo Ninja. The cameras that I use/have used (Nikon D3, D3s, D3x, D4 and V1) are all supported by PhotoNinja but don't have presets for all of the camera profiles. I understand that I can make my own camera profiles (using color checker) but this is quite a cumbersome process, shooting 7 - 8 pictures per ISO (I don't really mind this as such) and the question is, is it worth the effort or will I be better off sticking with the custom profiles? The camera profiles that I can/will create will be for one maybe two specific lightning condition (i.e. studio light and/or daylight) so I will not be able to create camera profiles for every lightning condition. From what I've seen (not tested as I'm on holiday in Spain without access to my ordinary computer for the next couple of weeks) from the color checker manual the process of creating custom profiles for every single session when using LR or PS is very straight forward but I don't think this works the same way in Photo Ninja. Any tips/insight on how to get better color management using Phot Ninja and the color checker is highly appreciated.

Regards

Hans