Author Topic: Ingest option: Copy raw photos, delete JPEGs  (Read 5337 times)

Offline jarle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingest option: Copy raw photos, delete JPEGs
« on: October 17, 2014, 09:51:21 AM »
Subject says it all.

I shot RAW + JPEG for one reason only: to be able to transmit a low res JPEG directly from the camera. When I import files to my Mac, I only want the RAW files. Currently, I can copy RAW files only, but then the JPEGs are left on the card. I want an empty card once I'm done in PM and put the card back in the camera.

Thanks,
Jarle

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest option: Copy raw photos, delete JPEGs
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 10:52:36 AM »
Jarle,

Subject says it all.

I shot RAW + JPEG for one reason only: to be able to transmit a low res JPEG directly from the camera. When I import files to my Mac, I only want the RAW files. Currently, I can copy RAW files only, but then the JPEGs are left on the card. I want an empty card once I'm done in PM and put the card back in the camera.

We would never add a feature that deletes files on your card in an automated way (that have never been copied).  Why not simply re-format your card once you put it back in your camera?

-Kirk

Offline jarle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 11:25:28 AM »
We would never add a feature that deletes files on your card in an automated way (that have never been copied).  Why not simply re-format your card once you put it back in your camera?
Multiple cards and busy days. If I put a card back into the camera with anything on it, I can't be sure if I've already ingested the pictures. I only format blank cards in camera. I always keep the "Erase source disk(s) after ingest" checked.

Jarle

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 08:04:24 PM »
Will it not work to set Ingest to "Copy RAW Photos Only" and then also check the option to "Erase Source Disk(s) After Ingest?"
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 08:59:34 AM »
Kevin,

Will it not work to set Ingest to "Copy RAW Photos Only" and then also check the option to "Erase Source Disk(s) After Ingest?"

No.  PM does not do a format.  It just deletes what it copies.  Since the JPEGs wouldn't be copied, they're not deleted either.

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 09:08:31 AM »
Kevin,

No.  PM does not do a format.  It just deletes what it copies.  Since the JPEGs wouldn't be copied, they're not deleted either.

-Kirk

Ah interesting. I always assumed it was actually erasing the disk,  not just deleting what was copied.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 01:55:47 PM »
Kevin,

-Kirk

Hi,
I didn't know that. It is reasonably on the safe side.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi