Author Topic: Where did my deleted photos go? They aren't in the recycle bin  (Read 1916 times)

Offline stacey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Where did my deleted photos go? They aren't in the recycle bin
« on: October 19, 2014, 07:51:14 PM »
Hello, I deleted some photos "to the recycle bin" but they are no where to be found in my recycle bin on my desktop.  I tried searching for one of the file numbers and nothing comes up either.  I have the photos backed up so I can load them again (but I will have to re-cull them).  I do need to know if this is normal though so I don't make this mistake again and have it turn into a catastrophe...

Thanks much!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Where did my deleted photos go? They aren't in the recycle bin
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 09:48:56 PM »
Stacey,

What OS are you running?

Where were your images stored at the time you deleted (recycled) them?  On a local hard drive?  On a network volume?  Some other device?

-Kirk

Offline stacey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 07:27:21 AM »
I use Windows 8 and I believe they were still on my SD card (unless PM copies them somewhere before it opens them..if it does, I don't know where since I couldn't find that file when searching my computer) I have only been using it a couple of days so I am trying to figure it out!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 07:43:32 AM »
I don't know if the recycle bin is supported on camera cards or not.  Basically we tell the OS to delete the file, but allow "undo" (which means put it in the Recycle Bin) and if the OS can't emulate a recycle bin then it deletes the file immediately.  Support for recycle bins is generally not available on networked drives.  But I don't know about whether undo is supported on cards.

-Kirk

Offline stacey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 11:41:25 AM »
Thank you! I will copy them into a folder and do a test run to see if it shows up on my recycle bin. Can you recommend a recent tutorial on how to sync PM5 with Lightroom 4? I have been doing lots of searches but not quite getting a "dummy" version of what I need to do to make them work together.