Author Topic: Nikon NX-D .nksc sidecar file support?  (Read 11603 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Nikon NX-D .nksc sidecar file support?
« on: October 27, 2014, 01:38:05 PM »
With Nikon's new NX-D, the .nksc sidecar file created by the software is placed in a separate NKSC_PARAM folder within the image folder (which to me seems like a rather unfortunate way to do it).

I'm curious if PM has any plans to deal with these files in the same way it currently handles xmp sidecars when moving or copying RAW files.

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Nikon NX-D .nksc sidecar file support?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 01:42:24 PM »
With Nikon's new NX-D, the .nksc sidecar file created by the software is placed in a separate NKSC_PARAM folder within the image folder (which to me seems like a rather unfortunate way to do it).

I'm curious if PM has any plans to deal with these files in the same way it currently handles xmp sidecars when moving or copying RAW files.

No, we do not have plans to support sidecar files contained in a folder rather than alongside the images themselves.  We do agree that it is a bad choice on their part to implement their settings in that way.  They could have simply put their data in XMP and then all programs would work with their data.

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 01:55:56 PM »
Thanks Kirk... I figured as much.
Nikon seems quite determined to make NX-D as unusable as possible in any reasonable workflow.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 03:15:15 PM »
It is our understanding that it is not Nikon that is developing the software.  We hear that it is the developer of SILKYPIX Developer Studio (Ichikawa Soft Laboratory) that is developing Nikon Capture NX-D for Nikon.

It may be that Nikon does not have much say in how the settings are stored.

-Kirk