Author Topic: Copy GPS coordinates from one pic to another?  (Read 9738 times)

Offline AnnieP

• View Profile
Copy GPS coordinates from one pic to another?
« on: November 08, 2014, 11:13:05 AM »
Is it possible to copy the CPS from one image in Photo Mechanic to another?  I'm sure it is but I can't figure it out!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Copy GPS coordinates from one pic to another?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 12:04:50 PM »
Annie,

Is it possible to copy the GPS from one image in Photo Mechanic to another?  I'm sure it is but I can't figure it out!

No.  Photo Mechanic does not currently offer the ability to copy/transfer GPS coordinates from one image to another.

-Kirk

Offline AnnieP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 09:56:29 AM »
Thanks for the response.  Maybe this could be put on a "wish list"?

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 11:09:47 AM »
Thanks for the response.  Maybe this could be put on a "wish list"?

I may not understand the problem at hand. Kirk apparently moved the thread from the support to the feature request forum while I was typing,

The following may work for you:

A) Click-select two images in the PM browser, a GPS position source image and a destination image

B) Go Main Menu->Image->Set GPS Coordinates...

C) Click left/right arrow buttons  to pick and display the source image from the two selected images.
    Verify the GPS position on the corresponding map

D) Click Apply to All (means all the selected images)

E) Click Close

F) Revisit the Set GPS Coordinates... dialog to verify the changed GPS position

If you want to set the the same GPS position to many images, you can select all of them, set the correct coordinates on one image (don't forget to click Accept Location under the map when ok). Then click Apply to All.

--
Odd S.
--
Odd S.

Offline David Roth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 02:57:45 PM »
I would like to second this feature request, although I have used Odd's suggestion and find it very convenient - especially when working with multiple images. Sometimes the image is just not nearby and I would prefer to do a quick copy of the source GPS and then move to the destination image. I have used the snapshot feature, but that involves a lot of non-productive clicking to save the coordinates, name the snapshot, and save it or overwrite a temporary name. I have also copied the text of the coordinates from the source image (using the Show Map feature) and copied that into the Get GPS field of the destination image. That works well except that capturing only the GPS coordinates by selecting with the mouse is an ultra precise hand operation and I frequently capture them with the file name. With that, the paste operation only inserts the file name and elides the GPS coordinates. Arrow keys do not appear to work within the box that displays the coordinates. Given all the options available to accomplish the copy, this is not a major issue, but it does start to get vexing after a while.

Offline David Roth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 12:18:48 PM »
I have to retract what I said yesterday about copying GPS coordinates into the Get GPS field and clicking on Get GPS. If I accept the location to apply to the new image, I noted that the coordinates accepted are not the same as the ones entered initially. The new coordinates are nearby, but the discrepancy is measured in kilometers, not meters. Can someone from Camerabits explain why the exact same coordinates are not returned?

Dave Roth

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 09:49:03 PM »
Dave,

I have to retract what I said yesterday about copying GPS coordinates into the Get GPS field and clicking on Get GPS. If I accept the location to apply to the new image, I noted that the coordinates accepted are not the same as the ones entered initially. The new coordinates are nearby, but the discrepancy is measured in kilometers, not meters. Can someone from Camerabits explain why the exact same coordinates are not returned?

Please furnish a sample image and the set of steps that reproduces the problem.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your sample image.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 04:27:22 AM »
The solution from Odd work, IF you have set the tick box "Sync GPS" (see in the lower right of attached screenshot from a Mac). In this case the GPS-Data is loaded from the image first and then displayed in the top fields. If you click then "Apply to all" it works.

If you have not set the tick box the GPS coordinated will be overwritten with whatever values are in the text boxes.
HTH
Sven (not from CB staff)

[attachment deleted by admin]
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.