Author Topic: Smaller image in Preview window  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Goos van der Veen

• View Profile
    • www.goosvanderveen.com
Smaller image in Preview window
« on: November 09, 2014, 09:17:10 AM »
In Preview, I would love to be able to zoom the image to a smaller size than than the 'fit to window' size. It is much easier to evaluate a composition if the image has an empty space around it.

In addition (but less important) a full-screen mode à la Photoshop when you toggle the F-key.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Smaller image in Preview window
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
Hi Goos,

I see, I guess the smaller zoom ratios currently available ¾, ½, or even ¼, aren't small enough so you would like to be able to go even smaller (to say 5%?). I'm not sure how easily this this could be done, but perhaps having a numeric field for the zoom percentage in addition to the zoom slider would be a solution.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Goos van der Veen

• View Profile
    • www.goosvanderveen.com
Re: Smaller image in Preview window
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 12:33:53 PM »
The RAW files of my Nikon D800 are, even cropped to 5x4 ratio, 6144 x 4912 pixels. The lowest setting  (¼ or 25%) brings the height down to 1228, not small enough for my 22' screen that has 1680 x 1050 pixels.

Only the 'fit to window' setting brings it down a bit more; on my screen to 20%, just enough for the height. I would like to be able to go to at least 75% of the 'fit to window' setting, but sometimes it's nice to see the image even smaller, say 400-600 pixel, so thumbnail-size but without the UI hassle surrounding the image in the contact sheet.

By the way, I never use that slider; only the Z, plus and minus keys.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 01:09:47 PM by Goos van der Veen »