Author Topic: Increment sequence by 2  (Read 5113 times)

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
Increment sequence by 2
« on: November 14, 2014, 01:01:12 PM »
Is there a way through file renaming to add a sequence number that increments by two?  The regular sequence variable increases by one which of course makes sense.  However, I have a situation that needs to increment by two.  Hopefully, this will explain clearly.

As a volunteer, I'm assisting the local historical society in digitizing old documents.  For various reasons, some documents need to be photographed rather than scanned (oversized, fragile bindings, etc.)  With our crude setup, it's easiest to digitize pages on one side of the document at a time.  In other words the odd pages are done then the document is reversed and the even pages are completed.  These pages are then MANUALLY assembled in the correct order and converted to a PDF document.  This isn't too difficult with a document of a few pages.  However, we just finished a journal with just under 500 pages.  If I could add a sequence number that increments the filename by two, the odd pages could be renamed with a 1, 3, 5 etc.  The second set using 2,4,6 and so on.  Then the files could be sorted by filename and the pages would be in the correct document order.

Any suggestions about how to do this would be welcomed.

Thanks. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Increment sequence by 2
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 01:16:15 PM »
Woodie,

Is there a way through file renaming to add a sequence number that increments by two?

No, there is no way to make the sequence increase by a value greater than one.

-Kirk

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 04:25:11 PM »

Check out "AdvancedRenamer". The renumber method with skip-parameter set to 2 may do what you want.

--
Odd S.
--
Odd S.

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 10:57:26 AM »

Check out "AdvancedRenamer". The renumber method with skip-parameter set to 2 may do what you want.

Thanks I'll take a look at it.  I did find a free app that allowed bulk renaming with a prefix number that could be set for start and increment.  That solved the problem.  I was just hoping PM had some variable that could used to save using another application.